Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Rest, Warrior

By Brooke Momblow

 

 

A long time ago I read a book titled Dear Princess. The book talked about being a daughter of the King! Men, you are a Prince, son of the King! Yes, I know it all sounds rather fairytale-ish. Being royalty though means you have a duty to serve. The responsibilities of your service come with an authority to do the tasks that need to be done. This authority is backed by the power of the King.

 

Later in my life I read a book titled Walls of a Warrior. In the book the author covers the topic that as a woman I was created to be a “helper” Genesis 2:18. She talks about how God uses the Hebrew word ezer for women in this passage, which means to aid-help, protect and defend. She states that every other use of this word in scripture relates to God or military allies. Of course, this greatly changed the way I viewed the idea of being a “helper.” It also made me realize I am a Warrior Princess! This picture somehow makes me feel strong and confident. Sons follow their King into battle, they are our Champions. Who knew as daughters we also were called to contribute our gifts to the fight for the kingdom?

 

Sometimes, however, I get so caught up in the battles of this world or so focused on the inner spiritual fight that I refuse to rest. I start relating to my Father only as Commander or Boss. Our interactions become businesslike. It’s as though I think the outcome completely relies on me: my strength, my effort, and I can’t stop for a second.

 

But first and foremost, my identity is Daughter/Son. Beloved. We are commanded to rest. Sometimes the King asks us to take a knee, to bend our will to his and allow him to fight for us. In this command there is great love. We are not being set aside as unneeded, we are not being rejected due to performance, we are simply resting and renewing. The Father cares for us as precious children.

 

Recently I read an interview with Don Shula. He became a coach instead of becoming a priest. He didn’t lead the people of God at church, but he did remain faithful to the Lion of Judah as he led the Dolphins to six Super Bowls. He quoted from his book Everyone’s A Coach and described how he never missed Mass growing up.

 

“Attending Mass and looking to God for guidance aren’t just habits for me,” he wrote. “They matter deeply to me… It makes a real difference to me when I start off each day by giving thanks and asking for help from God… There’s something good about kneeling down, asking for help, and listening for answers.”

 

When I was young, my bedroom often became my place of refuge. There behind closed doors I would kneel before my King. Often, I would sink breathlessly or with tears into the embrace of a heavenly Father who cared for me and knew me like no other. In those moments it was as if I were in the Holy of Holies, wrapped in a love that made everything else manageable and meaningful.

 

As an adult, I hear God calling me back to those places of complete submersion into him. A total release of everything into his hands. Yes, I have responsibilities. I also have the authority and power to carry them out. Wise direction for a course of action comes from the King though. And rest too, comes from the Father.  

 

Twila Paris has a song “The Warrior Is A Child,” and I dare say that sometimes we need to lay down our sword for a while and run like children into the open arms of Jesus:

 

Lately I’ve been winning

Battles left and right,

But even winners can get

Wounded in the fight.

People say that I’m amazing,

Strong beyond my years,

But they don’t see inside of me

I’m hiding all the tears.

 

They don’t know that

I go running home when I fall down.

They don’t know Who picks me

Up when no one is around.

I drop my sword and cry for just a while

‘Cause deep inside this armor

The warrior is a child.

 

Unafraid because His armor is the best,

But even soldiers need a quiet place to rest.

People say that I’m amazing,

Never face retreat,

But they don’t see the enemies

That lay me at His feet.

 

They don’t know that I go

Running home when I fall down.

They don’t know Who picks me

Up when no one is around.

I drop my sword and cry for just a while

‘Cause deep inside this armor

The warrior is a child.

 

“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me – watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won’t lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live freely and lightly.”  – Matthew 11:28-30 MSG

 

Rest, strong warrior. Daddy’s got this. Romans 8:15, Galatians 4:6

 


No comments:

Post a Comment