Friday, September 18, 2020

Idols

By Brooke Momblow

Exodus 20:1-3

When I was born, I was given a beautiful long eared stuffed dog. His name was Kodi and he was dearly loved. He slept with me every night. On Christmas Eve when I was seven years old I received a real live toy poodle puppy as a gift. Her name was Princess and our hearts were knit together.

Princess defended me against my brother and fought with him in the same manner I did. She slept under the covers with me and I snuck her into museums. She forgave me regularly and I forgave her when she chewed off the feet of my Barbie. Later in life, when we’d both grown up a little, she would come stand in front of me and just stare and I’d instinctively know if she wanted water, food, up on the couch, or to go out to the bathroom. We knew each other so well you’d think we were reading each other’s minds.

When I began to study the Bible for myself I was very young. Immature due to understanding and experience, I’d attempt to practice what I was reading in scripture without much guidance from anyone. Now that I know how much is gained from the training and gifts of others, I seek out guidance in addition to personal study.

Reading in the Old Testament, I got it into my head that God would require me to give up something I loved dearly to prove I loved him. Realizing how much I loved and cherished my poodle; I was terribly afraid that God would want me to give her up. I agonized over this. After a while I decided to make a deal with God: “God, I’ll give Kodi to someone who needs him if you’ll let me keep Princess.” So, I took Kodi and donated him to toys for children.

God is so gracious to cover with mercy and grace what is done in childlike faith… even when we are terribly misguided.

After giving away Kodi I felt terribly guilty, not relieved. I recognized God had not been asking me to give up anything. Instead I had attempted to bargain with God about treasures when what God wanted was my heart. A glimmer of awareness tugged, and I began to ask new questions. What is God after? What are his motives? How does he want me to give to him? Exactly what does he mean by some of the hard things he says in scripture?

Sexual immorality, evil desires, greed, these are idols according to Colossians. But as people who claim to know Christ we can sometimes be deceived to think that because of our “good” life, we don’t have any idols. 2 Kings 17:41a Functional idols usually come and hide themselves amidst things that are meant to be good (i.e. family, relationships, jobs, technology, appearance, recognition, ministry). Believing ourselves capable to do and decide without inquiring of God makes an idol of our intellect.  

Occasionally we may suspect that we haven’t submitted every area of our lives to God. Instead of doing the hard work of eradicating those idols we might attempt to bargain or prove our love for God by giving up something else or committing to do something that he hasn’t asked of us…

It isn’t that God never asks hard things, but he isn’t on a power trip to make us do something just because. He always has a reason rooted in love.

God wants our hearts. He wants us to come to a place of such assurance of his love for us that we aren’t afraid to trust him. God is love and he wants us to learn to love deeply in every way there is to love. He wants us to enjoy things he has created us to enjoy.

God doesn’t ask us to give things up simply because we like them (except for a time of fasting and prayer). What he does say is that Jesus is of such value that everything else should pale in comparison. Matthew 13:44-46 If something in your life holds a greater value to you than relationship with God, that is an idol.

In a bible study titled No Other Gods, Kelly Minter writes:

“I’m both deeply grateful and sobered. Grateful because the Lord did not spare me His severe mercy in dismantling the idols for whom I was living at the time. Sobered because if left to my own desires and rationale I would have missed the unsurpassed blessing I’ve experienced on the other side of that deconstruction. Identifying false gods, let alone contending with them, can be challenging stuff. I know that freedom is possible, and the unrivaled pursuit of Jesus Christ is worth it. This is my life message.”

Believe me when I say, the enemy of your soul does not want you rooting out idols in your life. This undertaking has the potential to be one of your mightiest battles.

If you are unsure of what God is asking of you, I encourage you to seek advice from a spiritual authority. If you are unsure of the character of God, I encourage you to read your Bible and join a bible study group. Prayer above all else is the door to encountering Jesus and walking in the Holy Spirit.

“Jesus looked at him and loved him…” Mark 10:21a NIV

“With him is only the arm of flesh, but with us is the Lord our God to help us and to fight our battles” 2 Chronicles 32:8 NIV

“For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord.” Ephesians 5:8-10 NIV

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment