Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Answered Prayer

By Marilyn Travis

 

 

I’ve been delving into my past this afternoon, enjoying reading some of my old diaries and journals. When I was 14 my Grandmother Capron gave me a diary for Christmas. I’m sure she had no idea the impact that gift would have on my life. I wrote every day through my freshman year of college. After that, I continued to journal, but someone named Mitch began to take up quite a bit of my spare time, so I no longer wrote every day. There was also a stretch when Nathan and Laurel were little that I hardly wrote at all!

 

I think I’m on journal number 24 now. My journals are all kept in sealed plastic bags because I have tucked away so many things among their pages. Tickets, pictures, cards, notes and clippings, each hold a special meaning. Among those things tucked away are numerous letters I wrote to myself, though most of them were really prayers. I love to read those letters, because I can see how those prayers were answered over time. It comforts me to see the impact God has had in my life, and how He is woven into and through all the joys, sorrows, fears, accomplishments, highs and lows. He is faithful. I am blessed.

 

On May 22, 1975, near the end of my junior year in high school, I wrote:

 

I just got home from Campus Club (our youth group). Jim (youth pastor) asked us if our lives made an impact on those around us, and though I hated to admit it, mine doesn’t. I have run away from Christ and have been a lukewarm Christian for such a long time, it's really sad. If the second coming came right now, I’m not sure where I would stand. It's about time I faced Christ and worked for Him instead of claiming His love without giving any away. I could write all night trying to convince myself that I am doing enough for God in my life, but I’m not. Lord, help me to become an active Christian. Help me to find something to do this summer that is real, productive, and is your will for me.

 

On June 9, 1975, I wrote:

 

I am now at the church filling in for Rev. Wecks’ secretary. I’m kind of scared right now because I might mess this up, but it shouldn’t be a tough job. I just hope that I don’t blow it or make a stupid mistake on the phone. I am glad at least that I’ll have something to do this week. This is a really busy office and kind of fun. I can catch up on some reading and really serve the Lord. I pray that He will help me to get along alright with the people here.

 

Near the end of August of that year I wrote a note in the margin about how the events of that summer were an answer to prayer. I not only got to help in one of the church offices, I had the opportunity to be a counselor for the Junior High summer camp at Horn Creek Ranch near Westcliffe. I also went on a Doulos (mission) trip with the High School kids to Mendenhall, Mississippi to work with the Voice of Calvary Ministries Coop there. When I asked God to help me find something to do that summer that would be real and productive, He answered!

 

My entry on December 31, 1975:

 

I guess this year was a good one. For me it was... I‘ve really grown in my faith this year by working with the Junior High Kids in their youth group and being a counselor at their camp, representing the youth on the Nominating Committee, Campus Club, Youth Leadership Team, and Evangelism Callers. I also got to join the high school handbell choir and sing in the high school choir at church. I went on a Doulos trip to Mississippi. It was a great experience! I also went to Prom this year and was an exchange student in the league exchange – I went to Canon City.

 

I love my family more than they will ever know. I still have some struggles in my Christian walk, but I have grown tremendously! It really has been a pretty good year. Now I have to get ready for the big one – 1976!

 

When I asked the Lord to find me something to do for the summer, I had no idea how that would grow and continue throughout my Junior and Senior years in high school, and beyond! 1975 and 1976 were years in which my faith grew by leaps and bounds! I’d like to say every year has been like that, but it hasn’t.

 

My Grandmother’s gift was inspired by God. I had no idea at the time that journaling would become such an important activity in my walk with the Lord, but He did!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment