Thursday, September 17, 2020

Grace

By Cathy Ramsey

 

 


 

Amazing Grace

 

Amazing Grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found
Was blind, but now I see.

'Twas Grace that taught my heart to fear,
And Grace my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.

Through many dangers, toils, and snares
I have already come.
'Tis Grace hath brought me safe thus far
And Grace will lead me home.

The Lord has promised good to me.
His Word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures.

When we've been there ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun,
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we'd first begun.

 

This has always been one of my favorite hymns. It brings me to tears every time I hear it. But I never really understood the entirety of its meaning until I started my intentional spiritual journey and studies. God loves us so much that he extends his grace to us as a gift of love, no matter our sins and failures. It feeds my hope and it inspires my faith. The thought of it takes my breath away.

 

The word translated "grace" in the New Testament comes from the Greek word charis, which means “favor, blessing, or kindness.” We can all extend grace to others, but when the word grace is used in connection with God, it takes on a more powerful meaning. Grace is God choosing to bless us rather than curse us as our sin deserves.

 

The grace of God is God's favor and kindness toward us. He gave us the beauty and wonders of nature that we see each and every day, such as sunrises and sunsets, God’s glorious creation in nature, laughter and camaraderie with friends. He infused me with thoughts that there is something more in life, something beyond the simple intuition that life is good. He gives us near misses when accidents are heading our way. He often brings us the right thing just in time. And He also gave us an innate conscience to know right from wrong. All these things are common graces, and everyone born on the earth has the benefit of them because God so loved the world. Believers are blessed with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realm because we are united with Christ.

 

Based on an article by Jennifer Heeren:

 

Salvation Grace - The best grace is that God purchased our freedom with the blood of His Son and forgave all our sins.

 

Numerous Grace - I have sinned, I sin, and I will sin. I always seem to do what I do not want to do and not do what I want to do, even though I want to do right all the time. Yet God will forgive me each time if I repent. All sins — past, present, and future — are forgiven after you believe in Christ.

 

Forgiveness Grace - God helps me to forgive little offenses, big offenses, and even previously unforgivable ones. I have learned that forgiveness is possible even when the offense caused extreme hurt.

 

New Grace - Each morning I have the glorious chance to begin again. If I made mistakes yesterday, I can start over with a clean slate. Every new day, hour, and breath is a chance for me to act better and display more of the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23). Because of His presence within me, I always have new opportunities to think and do better.

 

Freedom Grace - Grace gives me the freedom to forget about other people’s opinions. I can learn to be the person that God created me to be before the lies of this world attached themselves to me. I don’t need to impress other people. I just need to be faithful to the One who created me, and He already loves me, so I have nothing to prove.

 

Future Grace - God promises to be with me at all times. His Holy Spirit will counsel me and prompt me as I go through my days. He is with me in each present moment and those moments lead to a glorious future. Even when I go through trials, and I will, He is there to help me get through them and make the environment around me better.

 

There are almost 100 verses in the bible that refer to God’s grace in some form. These are a few (ESV):

 

Hebrews 4:16 - Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

 

Ephesians 2:8 - For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God.

 

James 4:6 - But he gives more grace. Therefore, it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.”

 

Romans 11:6 - But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace.

 

Titus 2:11 - For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people. 

 

Romans 6:14 - For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

 

Ephesians 2:8-9 - For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

 

2 Corinthians 12:9 - But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

 

John 1:14 - And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

 

Romans 3:24 - And are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus.

 

2 Corinthians 9:8 - And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work.

 

1 Peter 5:10 - And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.

 

1 Peter 4:10 - As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace.

 

1 Corinthians 15:10 - But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace toward me was not in vain. On the contrary, I worked harder than any of them, though it was not I, but the grace of God that is with me.

 

John 1:16 - And from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace.

 

Ephesians 4:7 - But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ's gift.

 

Romans 5:8 - But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

 

Ephesians 6:24 - Grace be with all who love our Lord Jesus Christ with love incorruptible.

 

Ephesians 2:5 - Even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved.

 

Titus 2:11-12 - For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age.

 

This is a beautiful rendition of my favorite hymn, Amazing Grace.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG0vH4WYChQ&feature=youtu.be

 

No comments:

Post a Comment