Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Even If, Lord

By Brooke Momblow

“Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.”

Psalm 90:12 NIV


Even if the boat is shipwrecked. Even if a poisonous snake bites. Even if arrested. (Acts 27 & 28) Even if beaten. (Acts 16:22) Even if he was being poured out like a drink offering for our sakes. (Phil.2:17) Even if the worst happened, Paul knew God to be faithful and was willing to follow him.

 “Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to him, ‘King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.” Daniel 3:16-18 NIV

 Even if... I’ve spent a lot of time this weekend pondering these two words. Spent some time considering what and who I value. Seems like when God is saying something to us, we often hear it from many different places. Anyway, I started making a mental list: Even if... 1, 2, 3…. Lord, I trust you. Even If… Lord, I know you love me. Even if my greatest fears are realized… Lord, you are faithful.

 “Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.” Hebrews 10:23


Even if...

The words “even if… I will stand firm” almost came out of my mouth when I remembered Peter’s words and bit my tongue. Who knows what lies ahead? This statement suddenly seemed arrogant instead of a pledge to be faithful. Peter declared, “Even if all fall away, I will not.” (Mark 14:29) We know he did fall away. Then I remembered Jesus had known and prayed for Peter. (Luke 22:31-32) Peter became a rock for the church like Jesus said he would. (Matt.16:18)

 Jesus prays for us. (Rom. 8:34)

Paul tells us to follow him as he follows Christ (1 Cor. 4:15-16, 11:1), and he reminds us: “For all of God’s promises have been fulfilled in Christ with a resounding ‘Yes!’ And through Christ, our ‘Amen’ (which means ‘Yes’) ascends to God for his glory. It is God who enables us, along with you, to stand firm for Christ. He has commissioned us, and he has identified us as his own by placing the Holy Spirit in our hearts as the first installment that guarantees everything he has promised us.” 2 Corinthians 1:20-22 NLT

- Today are you able to say, “Even if, Lord”?

- If not, why not?

- Ask for what you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment