Thursday, September 24, 2020

Distraction

By Marilyn Travis

I usually end my devotionals with music, but today I want to begin with it. Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus is a lovely hymn, with a message we need to remember.

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO4uIyz_d90

I need to turn my eyes upon Jesus. I need to do that every minute of every day. If I don’t, I lose my focus. I become distracted.

This being an election year, of course politics and politicians loom very large. I am distressed and a bit alarmed by the amount of attention I have been giving to politics. It is a main topic of conversation with my Christian friends, and I feel I must address every statement I disagree with on social media. After all, I must turn my fellow Christian’s minds to correct thinking (my way) right?? I must let them know who they should vote for, right??

Wrong. Consider 1 Corinthians 1:10-17

I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought. My brothers, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas”; still another, “I follow Christ.”

Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? I am thankful that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, so no one can say that you were baptized into my name. (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

For some of us current affairs and politics threaten to take the number one spot in our minds over Christ. I could easily insert the names “Trump” or “Biden” in this scripture after the words “I follow.” I do not mean to imply that current events, politics or the election are not important. They are! Very important! I also do not mean to say we must all agree on a candidate or political party. I have many friends who dedicate their lives to Christ and want to become more like Him every day, who hold opposite political beliefs.

 “Turn your eyes upon Jesus. Look full in His wonderful face, and the things of earth will grow strangely dim, in the light of His glory and grace.”

Jesus said, “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart, I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

We are brothers and sisters in Christ. Each of us must keep our eyes upon Jesus all day, every day. In Him we are united. Peter Scazzero adapted a prayer originally written by William Mininger. It is a beautiful prayer, and I often use it to pray for others, especially when I am frustrated.

May you be happy, may you be free.

May you be loving, may you be loved.

May you know the fulfillment of what God has planned for you.

May you experience God’s deep, profound love for you.

May Jesus Christ be formed in you.

May you know His peace that passes all understanding.

May all good things be yours.

May Jesus’ joy be in you and may that joy be complete.

May you know the Lord in all His goodness and compassion.

May you be protected from the evil one amidst every temptation that comes your way.

May the Holy Spirit fill and permeate your entire being.

May you see His glory.

May you be forgiven of every sin.

I forgive you (or will try to forgive you) of every wound and hurt with all my heart.

May God’s goodness and mercy follow you all the days of your life.

After praying this for someone else, I usually go back and pray it for myself as well.

Finally, remember Romans 8:38-39

 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment