Tuesday, February 16, 2021

The Treasure

By Barb Batt

I was reading the devotion from Sarah Young's "Jesus Calling" today and it really spoke to me.  I wanted to share it with you.

"Seek My Face more and more. You are really just beginning your journey of intimacy with Me. It is not an easy road, but it is a delightful and privileged way: a treasure hunt. I am the Treasure, and the Glory of My Presence glistens and shimmers along the way. Hardships are part of the journey too. I mete them out ever so carefully, in just the right dosage, with a tenderness you can hardly imagine. Do not recoil from afflictions, since they are among My most favored gifts. Trust Me and don't be afraid, for I am your Strength and Song".

I loved the phrase that Jesus is the Treasure. He really is such a gift. When I think of a treasure, I think of a treasure map. I started thinking of what my treasure map would look like, and what stops would be on the way to Jesus. The first stop on the treasure map would be found in studying God's word. The Bible provides the tools and supplies we need for our journey towards the treasure.

As we start our journey, we are surrounded by our family, however our family is defined. Whether it is defined as a house full of spouses or children, or one where the animals are considered the family. These are the blessings provided by God to boost us up, and to keep us from feeling lonely. This too can be the first place to use our tools from the Bible. Sometimes, it is the hardest to show Jesus's love and patience to those closest to us. We are with our family the majority of the time (especially during the pandemic), and they can try our patience, and push our buttons. 

The next stop would be to attend church, whether in person or virtual. Our church family provides comfort and support for the hardships we experience during our journey. As we sing and pray, our spirits are refreshed and filled with joy. We lift each other up.

Next stop on our treasure map would be our community - the stores and businesses. How we treat those we work with, or those we interact with is a direct testimony to what we have learned from the Bible. We need to be aware of where we heard God's voice in the midst of conversation or circumstances of the day. Where did God reveal himself in the details or our interactions with others?  What are we doing to help others?

As we continue on our journey to the Treasure, we need to remember to take care of ourselves. We need to take time to enjoy the beauty of outdoors. We need to close our eyes and listen to the songs of the birds, or the wind through the trees. We need to look for God in creation each day. We need to rest from the events of this ever-changing world. We need to remember that God is our constant and God is in control.

I am going to continue my stops on my treasure hunt for Jesus. My stops may look different from yours.  However, we are all going towards the same Treasure - Jesus. 

Psalm 27:8 (NRSV) - "Come, my heart says, "seek his face!" Your face, Lord do I seek".

Let us pray

Heavenly Father, help me on my treasure journey to find the ultimate Treasure - Jesus. Hold my hand, when I stumble from the rocks (hardships) on the path. I can't take this journey without you God beside me. Please give me patience and peace so that I can be more like Jesus, whose soul was calm and peaceful in conflict or chaos. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment