Monday, February 8, 2021

The Immeasurable Value of Friendship

By Barb Batt

I have been very blessed during my life with long-term friendships. I never take them for granted. I cherish these friendships because we have so much history together. My friends understand my family, my childhood, my first love, and the dramatic stages of teenage years (so long ago). We have celebrated the births of our children and grandchildren, and we have been there for each other during illnesses and death.

Two of my best friends are going through very difficult times right now. One of my friends lost her husband of 54 years in 2020. She is navigating the different stages of grief. She has a strong belief in God, which has kept her anchored. I want to take away her pain so much, but I know I cannot. I shared a devotional book with her, "Jesus Always" by one of my favorite authors, Sarah Young. Even though I do not always have the right words, I know God helped me by sharing this book with her. She has found comfort in these devotions and we have discussed them.

My other friend was just diagnosed with bladder cancer. It is a very aggressive cancer and the prognosis is not good. She too is a believer in God. I shared the same devotional book, "Jesus Always" with her. I try to text and call her on a regular basis. If I see an inspirational quote, I text it to her. I can't see her in person as she is limiting contact because she is starting chemotherapy soon. She has been in my life since 7th grade, and I am so attached to her. I know God is in control and has a plan for her. I am trying to not worry and I share my concerns with God. This is easier said than done.

During this pandemic, I have realized how very important my family and friends are to me. I hold them dear to my heart and ask God to watch over them and protect them. He has sent his Holy Spirit to help me with encouraging words for my friends. I have learned that it is so important to study his word daily. His scriptures arm me with the confidence I need to face these difficult struggles for myself or my friends. 

Psalm 119:63 (NRSV) I am a companion of all who fear you, and those who keep your precepts.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 (NRSV) - Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up the other; but woe to one who is alone and falls, and does not have another to help.

Real friends are those who, when you've made a fool of yourself, don't feel you've done a permanent job.

                                    – God's Little Instruction Book

Let us pray.

Father God, Thank you for giving me such wonderful friendships during my life. Help me to provide comfort and encouragement to my friends who are struggling right now. I know you are in control and are with them during their difficult times. My friends know Jesus and we have a friend in you. Thank you Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment