Monday, February 15, 2021

Judge Not

By Cathy Ramsey

“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment, you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.    Matthew 7:1-5 (ESV)

This isn’t the kind of judging that judges do in a court of law or that judges do at a county fair. This is the kind of judging where we are criticizing and gossiping or saying something derogatory or demeaning or unkind about someone to ourselves or to others.

It is so easy to judge others and sometimes we judge against our best efforts not to do so. We all do it. Sometimes, I think we do it because it makes us feel better about ourselves. If we really think about it, it makes sense doesn’t it? I think it is not as big a deal if we judge people on TV or in the news as when we judge our family, friends, and neighbors. Are we judging others for things we do ourselves? We judge over small things like someone who is not dressed properly for the occasion or big things like someone who is hurting our feelings without regard or judging us for being overweight.

I get upset with myself when I notice that I am being or have been judgmental. I also am noticing lately, that when I am feeling judged by someone, I start judging them and react negatively.

I have no right to judge anyone given all my faults. If I am judging someone, I am not loving them. I never used to think twice about how wrong I was to judge someone or get angry with them, but now, on my journey to live in the kingdom of God, I am more cognizant of how disobedient to God’s commandment I am being. Even though I am trying to do better, sometimes I don’t even realize what I’m doing until it is too late.

I remember reading that you should not judge someone until you have walked in their footsteps. How true is that? We have no idea what the person we are judging is going through or what they have had to deal with their entire lives. They may be going through a huge trauma in their lives of which we are not aware.

I think we would be less likely to judge someone for their behavior that we don’t agree with if we gave them the benefit of the doubt or if we focused on their goodness instead of their badness (in our eyes). What if we looked at the issue with their point of view instead of ours? I’m hoping and praying I can keep these things in mind as I endeavor to change my behavior in judging someone negatively.

Judging others and being judged by ourselves or others creates highly negative emotions. Have you ever been in a meeting where someone you trust shakes their head and rolls their eyes at something you said? It is so hurtful and something you don’t forget soon. Have you ever laid in bed at night and tossed and turned with your mind and heart regretting your criticism or judgment of someone in your heart? It is not a joyful thing and brings no glory to God.

God wants what is best for us and he knows how destructive judgment of others (and ourselves) can be. Isn’t it amazing how God has always known what is bad for us and bad for our Christian growth? If we can become more cognizant of being judgmental of others and ourselves, we can modify our behavior and move closer to God and advance Kingdom of God living.

My prayer for forgiveness:

Dear God, please forgive me for my sinful judgment of others. Please help me avoid this behavior. Please help me look for the good instead of the bad in everyone I deal with. Please give me patience. Please help me be quiet and listen to others instead of disagreeing with them just because they have a different point of view. Thank you for being present in our lives, in our souls, and in our heart. Thank you for loving us even in our sinfulness. Our blessings are abundant. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.

I know many of you are probably not fans of bluegrass music, but I love this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUAdF-TelEE&feature=youtu.be 

No comments:

Post a Comment