Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Growing in God's Grace

By Donna Winchell

 


 


When I was a child I always thought of Lent as a time to choose something to give up like candy and sweets, and to abide by the practice of eating meatless meals every Friday. Boy could my mom come up with some of the weirdest meatless meals, but I’ll save those stories for another time. I honestly never considered the deeper meaning of what we were doing. That by giving up meat we were honoring Christ who sacrificed his flesh on a Friday – Good Friday. My abstinence from candy and meat was really a form of penance and a way to turn away from sin and to turn back to God.

There is something rewarding about abstinence and self-denial during Lent – giving up something allows us to make a tangible sacrifice to the Lord. I love that and won’t be changing the practice from my childhood; but I also plan to use Lent for building my relationship with God, so I can cultivate that relationship far beyond the next six weeks of Lent. I want to become a better human being, to know God more and not just know about God. In 2021, I want to use this season to grow more deeply in God’s grace. I must do some searching in my mind and heart to see what is needed to move in that direction. I need God’s help to do that.

 “Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.” (Psalm 139:23-24).

Lent calls us to a self-examination that reflects upon our need for God. To do this we need to honestly answer some tough questions. I invite you to join with me in this self-examination if you also desire to build your relationship with God this Lent.

Starting with prayer we need to ask our Heavenly Father to show us areas in life that are counter to His desire for us as we consider the following questions:

 ·         Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am a better person than I really am; In other words, am I a hypocrite?

·         Am I honest in all acts or words, or do I exaggerate?

·         Do I confidentially pass on to another what was told to me in confidence? Can I be trusted?

·         Am I a slave to dress, friends, work or habits?

·         Am I self-conscious, self-pitying, or self-justifying?

·         Did the Bible live in me today?

·         Do I give it time to speak to me each day?

·         Am I enjoying prayer?

·         When did I last speak to somebody else with the object of trying to win that person for Christ?

·         Am I making contacts with other people and using them for the Master’s Glory?

·         Do I pray about the money I spend?

·         Do I get to bed on time and get up on time?

·         Do I disobey God in anything?

·         Do I insist upon doing something for which my conscience is uneasy?

·         Am I delegated in any part of my life? Am I jealous, impure, critical, irritable, touchy or distrustful?

·         How do I spend my spare time?

·         Am I proud?

·         Do I thank God I am not as other people, especially as the Pharisees who despised the publican?

·         Is there anybody whom I fear, dislike, disown, criticize, hold a resentment toward or disregard? If so, what am I doing about it?

·         Do I grumble or complain constantly?

·         Is Christ real to me?

                               Taken from Wesleyan Heritage HQL-9826, p.24


Sisters and brothers in Christ, through this self-examination may we gain the perspective that God desires us to have; and to use this Lenten season to grow more deeply in God’s grace.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment