Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Preparing for Lent

By Marilyn Travis

I must be honest. I have never really been excited about Lent. Dwelling on the time before the crucifixion, the events that led up to it, my own sin and need for Christ – all seem so depressing. Can’t we just skip Lent and jump right to the empty tomb? Yes, I know. I can’t truly appreciate Christ’s resurrection unless I also appreciate His sacrifice and the depth of His love.

Like Advent, Lent is a time of waiting. During Advent we are joyously awaiting the birth of Christ, focusing on hope, love, joy and peace. During Lent we solemnly await the crucifixion, acknowledging the sacrifice Christ made for each of us giving His life that we may live. Though It’s not my favorite time of year, I have learned that Lent can be a time of spiritual growth, and time spent in intentional reflection and prayer brings me closer to Christ. Indeed, it inevitably brings hope, love, joy and peace to my heart.

I don’t generally give anything up for Lent. Instead I try to focus on developing a spiritual exercise. This past year I have struggled a bit with my attitude toward others. I get frustrated with people who seem narrow minded or stubborn about politics, or who don’t wear masks or take Covid 19 seriously. I admit, I find myself feeling self-righteous and judgmental from time to time. I need to focus not only on confessing my sin, but also on changing my attitude!

Ephesians 4:30-32

And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

In Day by Day: a 40 Day Journey to Deeply Change Your Relationships, Peter Scazzero writes:

We want to obey Scripture’s command to get rid of all bitterness and be forgiving to one another. The question is, How?

A number of years ago, William Meninger, a Trappist monk who has dedicated his life to prayer for over fifty years, visited our church in New York City to teach us some of what he’s learned. One of the things he shared was a “Compassion Meditation Prayer,” the purpose of which was to help us forgive and let go of bitterness.

An adapted and shortened version of the prayer is included below. It is meant to be prayed for someone you might consider an enemy or someone with whom you are in conflict. It may even be someone from your past, living or dead, for whom forgiveness is still possible and overdue.

May you be happy, may you be free.

May you be loving, may you be loved.

May you know the fulfillment of what God has planned for you.

May Jesus Christ be formed in you.

May you know His peace that passes all understanding.

May all good things be yours.

May Jesus’ joy be in you and may that joy be complete.

May you know the Lord in all His goodness and compassion.

May you be protected from the evil one amidst every temptation that comes your way.

May the Holy Spirit fill and permeate your entire being.

May you see His glory.

May you be forgiven of every sin.

I forgive you (or will try to forgive you) of every wound and hurt with all my heart.

May God’s goodness and mercy follow you all the days of your life.

 Scazzero ends his entry with this prayer:

 Jesus, thank you for loving me with the kind of loving compassion expressed in this prayer. I long to be the kind of person who sincerely feels and prays like this – especially for those who annoy or hurt me. I am a long way from that now. I ask that you do a profound work in me so that I might truly love like You. In Your name I pray, Amen.

I think the lyrics in this song are fitting. I hope you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HixCQUirJxg 

No comments:

Post a Comment