Wednesday, January 13, 2021

What We Can Do

By Barb Batt

This past week has been difficult due to the rioting in our nation's capitol on January 6, 2021. I was so saddened as I watched the news that day.  I couldn't believe this was happening in our country. I have been trying to understand why our country is so divided, and why many people are so full of hate. I have been trying to see where God showed up in the circumstances of that day. One of the heroes of that day was Representative Jason Crow from Colorado. He assisted other members on how to use the emergency masks.  He also comforted one of his friends, Representative Susan Wild of Pennsylvania.

I have been wondering what my role should be in the future to help the healing of our country. How can I contribute to the healing, and show the love of Jesus? I was listening to a Christian music station and they shared a wonderful story today. A woman in a drive-through restaurant tells each of her customers she loves them. She shared a story where she told a woman customer she loved her. The customer questioned if she had said she loved her. The woman replied that she had said she loved her. The customer shared that she had recently lost both her husband and brother, and had not been told she was loved for a long time. 

There was a story on Next Door from a woman in our area that has helped several families during these difficult times. She shared that she truly believed God has her on a mission in helping these families. I believe this is a testimony to what we can do to heal our divided country. It seems that some people can hate without a reason, but we can love because we have a great reason to love in our belief in Jesus.  As Phil said in his sermon - we need to take the light of Jesus into the world. This light shines into the darkness. We also need to pay attention to those people who are sent by God to help us or for us to help.

I have been searching Bible passages to help me during these trying times. The scriptures calm me and reaffirm that God is in control of our world and circumstances.

Psalm 46: 1-3 NRSV - God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change, though the mountains shake in the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble with its tumult. 

Matthew 11:28-30 NRSV - Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me: for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

I Peter 5:7 NRSV - Cast all your anxiety on him, because he cares for you.

I love the Benediction we sing at the end of each service, as the words provide such comfort and peace during these difficult times.

Go now in peace, never be afraid.

God will go with you each hour of every day.

Go now in faith, steadfast, strong and true.

Know he will guide you in all you do.

God will be there watching from above.

Go now in peace, in faith, and in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment