Wednesday, January 6, 2021

The Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi

By Marilyn Travis

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;

Where there is hatred, let me sow love;

Where there is injury, pardon;

Where there is doubt, faith;

Where there is despair, hope;

Where there is darkness, light;

And where there is sadness, joy.

Grant that I may not so much seek

To be consoled as to console;

To be understood as to understand,

To be loved as to love;

For it is in giving that we receive,

It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,

And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

I lost someone very dear to me this week. My beloved Uncle Max, 98, died from Covid 19. Though his memory had faded, his personality and demeanor did not. Uncle Max could charm the socks off anyone! He had a mischievous gleam in his eyes and a ready smile. He had a way of making each person he met feel valued and important. When I talked to Uncle Max he gave me his full attention even if we were just kidding around – which we did quite often! I think Jesus modeled that for him!

When I read the Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi it made me think of him. Max strived to live his faith in Christ, he didn’t just talk about it. It is a value he learned from his parents, I believe, because my Dad lived that way, as do my Uncle Wayne and Aunt Patricia. I was blessed to grow up in an extended family that never quarreled and loved spending time together! When we gathered, we prayed real prayers before meals, not just memorized graces. We usually had guests from outside the family there as well.

When I was a child, I thought all families were just like mine. It wasn’t until I was much older that I realized how blessed I am. I’m striving to carry on the values of my family. I want to live my faith as well, and sometimes I succeed, though often I don’t.

Like St. Francis, I’ll keep praying!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNagMjn1zXg&index=39&list=PLQi8VWX2f_Q1ZTR7DRgsVMFKCnRPiX40R

No comments:

Post a Comment