Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Look to God

By Cathy Ramsey

I found myself in tears almost all day on Wednesday, the day that the capital building, was attacked and damaged. I could not believe this was happening. It seemed like things were out of control. It was a national calamity, and it was painful. At first, I could not get my head and heart around what was happening in our center of democracy. Would things continue to get worse?

Things would have felt so much better if my initial instinct in the time of trouble would have been to look to God. But I was so caught up in all the destruction and drama, it was not my first inclination. It should have been, and I would have found peace much sooner. (It did not escape me that it was Epiphany.)

In 2 Chronicles 20:12 (KJV), when his enemies were descending upon Jehoshaphat, Jehoshaphat pleaded with God, “Oh our God, wilt thou not judge them? For we have no might against this great company that cometh against us: neither know we what to do: but our eyes are upon Thee.”

Jehoshaphat was at his wit’s end; he did not know where to turn, so he turned to God. God answered his prayers and sent the Spirit of the Lord to speak to them. In 2 Chronicles 20:15 (KJV), the Spirit said to Jehoshaphat and his people, “And he said, Harken ye, all Judah, and he inhabitants of Jerusalem, and thou king Jehoshaphat, thus saith the Lord unto you, be not afraid nor dismayed by reason of this great multitude; for the battle is not yours, but God’s.”

I know in my heart, that God is always with us, in times of good and in times of calamity. However, I am not yet at the point in my journey, that I immediately turn to God. I still let myself get mired in my frustrations, my fears, my heartbreak based in my personal feelings of rejection or, even more so, in my sorrow over someone else’s pain.

I read a lot of spiritual formation books, devotionals, and Christian blogs. I am drawn to them daily. But I realized today that I need to focus more on reading the bible daily. It is the true Word of God and it holds God’s highest teaching. It is the best way to keep our eyes on God.

Look at these prayers by God’s people in the Bible.

My eyes are always on the Lord, for He will free my feet from the mesh. (Psalm 25:15)

I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. (Psalm 121:1-2)

Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other. (Isaiah 45:22)

We are hearing so much from other voices about what movements should be made by those in political leadership, what reforms are required, and that we all need to be united. There is nothing wrong with this, but our first response should be to look to God, follow His teachings, and kneel in prayer before Him to ask for his help and peace. Our first inclination should be to trust in God, not political leaders or media.

Our simple prayer during these unsure times: “Lord, help us.”

No comments:

Post a Comment