Friday, January 29, 2021

Answered Prayer

By Marilyn Travis

Quite often I don’t realize God is at work answering my prayers until time has passed and I look back in retrospect. That wasn’t the case this past week.

For three years I have enjoyed my part time job passing out samples at Costco. I worked a six- hour shift two days a week, never on Sunday. A few of my co-workers were Christians, and we prayed for each other and our families. I felt God wanted me there.

This past year, however, several things changed. Covid 19 shut us down for several months and most of my co-workers did not return when we started working again. Our beloved boss had to go on medical leave until the threat of the virus is gone, and since we can’t pass out samples, the work became incredibly boring! My shift supervisor tried to help by letting me work shorter shifts, giving people their breaks. That change made it bearable. Still, I began to question whether God still wanted me there. I questioned whether I still wanted to be there!

I thought the answer came when my shift supervisor received a message from the district boss stating that working only short shifts is not allowed, we must be willing to work on Sundays, and we must be willing to work at least four days a week. I decided to quit.

I should have been happy with my decision, but I was not at peace. I argued a bit with the Lord, citing the requirement to work on Sundays, but that didn’t ease my mind, no matter how many times I tried to convince Him I was right! Two women kept coming to mind. Mary and Martha. No, not Mary and Martha from the Bible, but two co-workers named Mary and Martha. Mary is one of my fellow prayer warriors, Martha reminds me of Eeyore – always thinking disaster is around the corner, full of worry. I don’t think it is coincidence that these women came to mind – Mary, a person close to the Lord, always praying and asking for prayer, and Martha, distracted by all that is going on in the world, and never at peace.

Though I was certain there was no way around quitting, I finally decided to pray for God’s will to be done. I asked the Lord to guide me instead of pushing my agenda. I was very nervous and emotional when I announced to my shift supervisor that I was going to turn in my notice, listing my reasons. She told me she did not want me to quit. She knew what I wanted and was able to find a way for me to keep my schedule and keep my short shifts. I will only be scheduled to work after 12:45 on Sundays, and she will try to make that a rare occasion! I couldn’t believe my ears! Its pretty clear God wants me to stay at Costco!

I have a new attitude about working there now. I’m excited to discover what God has in mind.

Luke 11:9-10 “Ask and it will be given you; seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks, finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.”

This verse holds new meaning for me. I asked, and I received His answer. Now I need to seek and expect to find new purpose and direction in my time at work. Please pray for me and my fellow brother and sisters in Christ who work with me so we can be a blessing and accomplish God’s will right there in the Parker Costco.

Pray with me.

“Heavenly Father, thank You for Your guidance. Forgive me for getting ahead of Your plans, and help me know when to stop and listen for Your direction. Your ways are perfect, Lord. Thank you for offering gentle grace. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

                                                            -Kristine Brown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGpzvjl-9NI 

No comments:

Post a Comment