Tuesday, January 5, 2021

A Different Kind of New Year Resolution

By Barb Batt

"When you get into a tight place, and everything goes against you till it seems as if you couldn't hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that's just the place and time that the tide'll turn."

                                                – Harriet Beecher Stowe

The new year, 2021, has arrived. At the beginning of each year, many people make resolutions. Some of the resolutions are to lose weight or exercise more. When I look back at the events during 2020, my resolutions for the new year are centered around lessons learned during this time. I resolve to not forget what happened during 2020. I want to remember to always treasure my family and friends, and the time I spend with them. I want to remember to always be in the present – to appreciate whatever the day holds for me. I want to remember to never take hugs for granted. I have missed hugging my friends. I want to remember how much I missed going to church. I appreciate the streaming church services, but I miss the quiet solitude of the sanctuary and in-person worshiping with my church family. I want to remember the blessings I received in 2020. I spent many days babysitting my grandchildren and experienced a wonderful summer through their eyes. Due to the virus, I could not always exercise at my gym. I started walking paths and dirt roads surrounding Elizabeth with my walking buddies. Through these walks, I have discovered the beautiful wooded acres in our county. The people we have met walking are friendly and outgoing.

I was feeling down the other day, and I could not determine why I was feeling that way. I decided to watch a feel-good movie and cuddle with my French bulldog in the bedroom. Several deer came to the bedroom windows and looked in as they grazed in the garden. I started laughing and decided God sent these messengers to remind me of the beauty of nature. My mood immediately improved, and I counted my blessings. I resolved then to be more aware of God in my daily activities. I want to practice what we learned at the church workshop this past fall. The questions from the workshop that I want to focus on each day are the following:

  • Where did I see God in creation today?
  • Where did I hear God's voice in the midst of conversation today?
  • Where did I see God show up in circumstances of my day?

In the coming days, I want to focus on being positive on the challenges facing our country and world. I do not want to let the political divisions and social unrest drag me down. I want to see the world through the eyes of Jesus, and embrace other people as Jesus would. 

"The most valuable gift you can give another is a good example."

                                                – God's Little Instruction Book 

For I have set you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you.  John 13:15.

Dear Jesus,

Please help me to walk in the light of your ways. Send your Holy Spirit so I can see people as you see them, and help people as you would. I am so weak without you dear Lord.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment