Thursday, January 21, 2021

God's Secret Place of Protection

By Donna Winchell

 


 

During the summer, I keep a shade pulled down over the arched window in my great room. It helps to keep the house cooler and to minimize birds flying into the window which mirrors the pine trees directly across from it.

I was amazed when I rolled up the shade this winter to discover tiny paper-like structures attached to the window frame. It seems the plethora of yellow jackets around my home loved this special  location to build and attach their nests with plenty of shade and protection from the elements. It was their shelter, their secret place.

Psalm 91:1-2 NIV provides a good illustration for us of the value of a secret place for God’s children: “Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust”.  

God encircles, encompasses, covers and shields us if we make Him our refuge. His presence is a kind of force field of protection no matter what the circumstances. “For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways” (Psalm 91:11 NIV). When we live in the secret place, we live in God’s shadow; you can’t get much closer than that.

I have felt that force field, the kind of protection God provides. I remember years ago driving home after working the swing-shift. I was tired, coming down with the flu and had the car heater cranked as high as it would go. I must have fallen asleep for a brief moment because I woke up blocks away. To this day, I believe it was God who must have taken the wheel and protected me.

It’s actually pretty simple to have this type of protection, for any of us at any time, if we seek the Lord in prayer, trusting in Him and making Him our refuge. Entering into the “secret place of the Most High” is as simple as having a conversation with a friend, the best friend we will ever have.

Jesus instructs us to go to a quiet place, a secret place, a room with the door shut when we pray….Matthew 6:6 ESV “But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.”…. this is not necessarily just a physical room but a secret place in our lives set aside for one-on-one time with God.

God has provided protection and shelter that is ours for the taking. He protects us and encircles us like the yellow-jackets’ tiny paper-like structure, and that protection belongs to us and is always there when we dwell in the secret place of the most High. Rejoice in His goodness and know that He is the safest place in the universe, and in His presence you will find everything that your soul needs.

Psalm 27:5-7 TPT “ In his shelter in the day of trouble, that’s where you’ll find me, for he hides me there in his holiness. He has smuggled me into his secret place, where I’m kept safe and secure—out of reach from all my enemies. Triumphant now, I’ll bring him my offerings of praise, singing and shouting with ecstatic joy! Yes, listen and you can hear the fanfare of my shouts of praise to the Lord! God, hear my cry. Show me your grace. Show me mercy, and send the help I need!”

It really isn’t difficult to stay in that sacred space—that place of protection with God. In fact, just remember these four tiny words – Attach yourself to God – you will not remain the same! 

God desires to bless you, to surround you with goodwill, to always protect you. I think the lyrics to this song are wonderful. Hope you enjoy. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M7U_IyCuq0 

No comments:

Post a Comment