Monday, January 11, 2021

We are Going to be Okay

By Cathy Ramsey

I know most of us have felt anxious about everything going on in the world. Wondering when we will get back to normal after the COVID19, political issues, and civil rights issues are among the things that have created a lot of stress. I was so anxious about the wildfires; the horrible loss of the homes of people living there, the loss of animals, and the loss of the beautiful woods were all so awful.

However, when I remember how much God loves me and when I settle down enough to pray to God, things calm down for me. I am finding that if I trust God to take care of me as He promises in the Bible, I find peace and calm.

Isaiah 40:31 is my favorite scripture. I carry it in my wallet and I have a beautiful cross-stitch in my home. This awesome scripture brings me strength and it reminds me to trust in God that he will get me through anything.

Isaiah 40:31 ESV - But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.

Look at this promise from God. When I remember this, how can I worry and be afraid? God is there for all of us to bring us strength and peace.

Isaiah 41:10 ESV - Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

I love reading Henri Nouwen. He is so enlightening. This is so meaningful in these times.

Henri Nouwen said “When I trust deeply that today God is truly with me and holds me safe in a divine embrace, guiding every one of my steps I can let go of my anxious need to know how tomorrow will look, or what will happen next month or next year. I can be fully where I am and pay attention to the many signs of God's love within me and around me.”

Corrie Ten Boom was Dutch and sent to a concentration camp for helping others escape from the Nazis. (I had a boss when I was in my 20’s who was Dutch and spent time in a concentration camp. Hearing his stories makes me admire Corrie Ten Boom even more.) Her faith and her teachings are amazing when you know her circumstances living in that horrible place.

Corrie Ten Boom – “If you look at the world, you'll be distressed. If you look within, you'll be depressed. If you look at God you'll be at rest.”

Corrie Ten Boom – “Jesus did not promise to change the circumstances around us. He promised great peace and pure joy to those who would learn to believe that God actually controls all things.”

There are so many scriptures that tell us of God’s love for us and his promise to care for us if we believe in him. Yet, it is so hard not to be anxious and not to worry about our world, close to home or far away.

Proverbs 3:5 ESV - Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.

Jeremiah 29:11-14 ESV - For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you, declares the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the nations and all the places where I have driven you, declares the Lord, and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile.

Look at what Dallas Willard, one of the greatest Christian teachers of our generation, says. Wow, I really want to get to the point in life where I have “a carefully cultivated heart, assisted by the grace of God.”

Dallas Willard said, “A carefully cultivated heart will, assisted by the grace of God, foresee, forestall, or transform most of the painful situations before which others stand like helpless children saying “Why?””

When I was a child, I used to think this passage was only for funerals. Now, I know the Psalm of David is for everyday relief from our troubled hearts.

Psalm 23:1-6 ESV - A Psalm of David. The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. ...

I played this at a service at church one time when I was a back-up accompanist. Several people told me how much they loved it. I love it too and Alan Jackson does a beautiful job singing “In the Garden”.

https://youtu.be/9aIhta9exts

Here are some of the many Bible passages that talk about God’s unconditional care and love for us. All we must do to release us from our worries and stress is to trust in God and know that he will make all things right again. He “has our backs”. I am so grateful for God’s love, grace, and care. It brings me joy to know this and to believe it with all my heart.

Jeremiah 29:11 ESV - For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Psalm 34:4 ESV - I sought the Lord, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears.

John 14:27 ESV - Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

Philippians 4:6 ESV - Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

John 16:33 ESV - I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”

James 1:12 ESV - Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him.

Philippians 4:6-7 ESV - Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Deuteronomy 31:6 ESV - Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”

Psalm 91:5-10 ESV - You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness, nor the destruction that wastes at noonday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. You will only look with your eyes and see the recompense of the wicked. Because you have made the Lord your dwelling place— the Most High, who is my refuge.

Heavenly Father, thank you for your unconditional, ubiquitous love. Thank you for caring for us every second of every day. Please help everyone feel your love and find calm and rest in knowing you are with us to give us strength and peace in these trying times.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment