Tuesday, April 14, 2020

The Unity and Bond of Peace


By Marilyn Travis

“Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity and bond of peace.”
                                                                                    Ephesians 4:2-3

On Easter Sunday a dear friend of mine commented on Facebook that 90% of the posts on her timeline were Christian friends with messages praising God for the resurrection of Christ. She ended with “Hallelujah – We are blessed!”

It struck me that the body of Christ is a body of unique individuals who have differing opinions about almost everything. We differ in our opinions about what type of worship music we prefer, how we approach prayer, and how we keep the sabbath. Mitch and I disagree about how the laundry should be sorted!  Some have strong opinions about politics, and politicians, and how to best beat the Coronavirus. God created us to be individuals. Not one of us is like any other, so of course we have differing opinions and we often express them!

However, for all our differences, God calls us to be united in Christ. Ephesians 4:4-6 says “There is one body and one Spirit – just as you were called to one hope when you were called – one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.” 

I noticed the same thing my friend did when I scrolled through my Facebook timeline today. My Christian friends, several of whom I strongly disagree with, especially in our political views, were praising God and thanking Him for the gift of salvation through Jesus Christ, our Lord. We agree on what is most important, and we love and care for one another even though we hold differing opinions.

Ephesians 5:1-4 states “Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.”

I find myself praying the Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi often these days – I invite you to join me:

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace;
where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
Grant that I may not so much seek
to be consoled as to console;
to be understood, as to understand,
to be loved as to love;
for it is in giving that we receive,
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment