Thursday, April 23, 2020

Patience


By Marilyn Travis

I’ve had parents of my students tell me I am a remarkably patient person. Members of my immediate family claim I have the patience of a gnat. Both statements are true. I have a great deal of patience for other people’s children, and for people in general (just not always my husband and children, but I’m learning). It all depends on the circumstances. I have absolutely no patience at all for inanimate objects that don’t do what I want them to do when I want it done. Technology and I do not generally get along. It gets ugly pretty quick! I am also not very patient when I am required to sit still or be quiet for any length of time. I thrive in social settings and love casual conversation. While spending time with friends on Zoom is enjoyable, talking to a group of live busts (as in sculptures with no bodies) just isn’t the same as being present in the same space. This time of isolation under a stay-at-home order is wearing thin. I admit, I’m running short of patience.

The dictionary says patience is the capacity to tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset. I have no problem with this so long as the wait is brief!

Clearly, I do not have a handle on patience. Fortunately, God does.

Joyce Meyer says, “I believe that a trusting attitude and a patient attitude go hand in hand. You see, when you let go and learn to trust God, you’re able to be more patient. Patience is not just about waiting for something… it’s how you wait, or your attitude about waiting.”

Colossians 3:12, 15

“Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience… Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts…”

In other words, as Joyce Meyer states, “let go and learn to trust God.”

None of us know when we will be free to gather in large groups or return to activities and work. Then again, none of us know when Christ will return either, yet we trust God’s word and look forward to our lives with Him. So maybe this uncertain time is a good time to practice trust and patience.

Galatians 5:22-25

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.”

I’m going to work on being patient and trusting the Lord in this time of uncertainty. I want to live more in step with the Spirit. I’m not sure I’ll be able to tackle my impatience with technology at this time, but who knows? Our God is a God of miracles!

No comments:

Post a Comment