Thursday, April 9, 2020

A Meditation on John 13:1-8


By Pat Russell

I am sitting here remembering Maundy Thursday services at our church. The lights are dim. The chairs are set up in front with towels laid before them. Bowls are ready for filling with water. I see people going forward to sit before a sister or brother deacon to have their feet tenderly washed and to receive a blessing on their life. When all who care to do so have been served in this way, we then sit together to receive Communion. We are a community of brothers and sisters who are following our Lord Jesus.

This is one of the most intimate gathering experiences which we practice at our church. We allow one of the most used and perhaps dirtiest places on our body to be touched by another person. Most of us probably do not especially like our feet – toenails that are dirty, jagged or thick; toes that are crooked; bulging corns or bunions; dry skin; worn soles. Yuk, you might not even appreciate me writing about it! But we choose to do it anyway – of course we make sure our feet are the best they can be that night.

This practice seems even more strange in these days of “don’t touch!” We are missing the hugs and handshakes from one another during are “peace blessing” in services. Now we wear gloves and masks to separate us in public, keeping 6 feet apart, of course. We cannot even gather together on Easter. We long for intimacy with our friends and families.

Why do we wash feet on Maundy Thursday? Why would the Church have such an intimate practice all around the world? I know that you know why, because our Lord showed us the way. John tells us about this in chapter 13. Jesus took up a towel and made himself ready to perform what only servants would do. He washed dirty, smelly, sandaled feet. The disciples did not have a chance to prepare their feet like we do!

When Peter pushed back at the idea, Jesus said something incredible: “Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.”  My paraphrase: “If you do not let me touch the place in your life of which you are most ashamed, that you know is filthy, but that you depend upon every day, we cannot be truly united.” That begs questions like, “How much do I really want to be united with Jesus?” And, “What ‘part’ of me do I want to keep away from Jesus?” I probably would have said to Jesus, “Oh, you can hug me and bless me with peace, Jesus, but don’t ask to touch my feet; and above all, don’t do it in front of these people!”

This night, as Jesus gathered with his dearest friends, friends that he loved more than life itself, he not only wanted their complete trust, he also wanted to prepare them for the horrible night and days to come. “My body given for you; my blood shed for your sins.” “Your feet exposed that I might wash them clean of all that keeps you from me in the days ahead.”

Maybe today is the day that you will find the courage to expose your ugly “feet” to our tender Lord. He’s waiting with towel in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment