Friday, April 10, 2020

A Meditation for Good Friday


By Pat Russell

On this a day of lament, join with me by praying aloud.

Hear our prayers this day, O God, for all the sorrows of this present world.

·         For the families who have lost loved ones because of the virus.
o   My heart cries out, save us Lord.
·         For those who are separated from their loved ones and don’t know if they will live or die.
o   My heart cries out, save us Lord.
·         For the first responders who are exposed to the virus over and over.
o   My heart cries out, save us Lord.
·         For those who have lost their jobs and don’t know where their next meal will come from.
o   My heart cries out, save us Lord.
·         For the hospital staff, nurses and doctors who give of themselves continuously to bring healing to the sick.
o   My heart cries out, save us Lord.
·         For the isolated individual at home who has to rely on others to bring food.
o   My heart cries out, save us Lord.
·         For the nursing home residents and their attendants all over this country.
o   My heart cries out, save us Lord.
·         For homeless people who are not only exposed to the elements but are now exposed to the virus in extreme ways.
o   My heart cries out, save us Lord.
·         For those in prison who have no way of escaping the virus if it comes to their place.
o   My heart cries out, save us Lord.
·         For the poorer countries who do not have the resources to deal with the virus.
o   My heart cries out, save us Lord.
·         For the refugee camps where the virus can spread like wildfire.
o   My heart cries out, save us Lord.
·         For the unnamed sorrow in my heart.
o   My heart cries out, save us Lord.

On this day of sorrows, look to Jesus.

We choose to come alongside Jesus as he makes his way to Calvary.  This, indeed, is the world’s greatest lament. The pure, loving, good, Son of God is on his way to death. 
We have seen and heard of so many sorrows around us that perhaps we are weakened from the realities.  We struggle to choose to enter into Jesus’ suffering and sorrow.  We want Easter Sunday now! 
But Jesus wants us with him today.  He is carrying all the sorrow and sin that now enfolds us.  Our present sorrow can only serve to remind us of the extreme weakness he suffered after he was beaten and then had to carry his own instrument of death – a heavy cross beam.  Will you not struggle with him?

O Sacred Head, Now Wounded 
https://youtu.be/p5hjdz4xZF4 

O sacred Head, now wounded, with grief and shame weighed down,
Now scornfully surrounded with thorns, Thine only crown;
O sacred Head, what glory, what bliss till now was Thine!
Yet, though despised and gory, I joy to call Thee mine.
What Thou, my Lord, hast suffered, was all for sinners’ gain;
Mine, mine was the transgression, but Thine the deadly pain.
Lo, here I fall, my Savior! ’Tis I deserve Thy place;
Look on me with Thy favor, vouchsafe to me Thy grace.
What language shall I borrow to thank Thee, dearest friend,
For this Thy dying sorrow, Thy pity without end?
O make me Thine forever, and should I fainting be,
Lord, let me never, never outlive my love to Thee.
Be Thou my consolation, my shield when I must die;
Remind me of Thy passion when my last hour draws nigh.
Mine eyes shall then behold Thee, upon Thy cross shall dwell,
My heart by faith enfolds Thee. Who dieth thus dies well.
attributed by Bernard of Clairvaux, 1153
tr. by 
James W. Alexander, 1830

by Pastor Pat Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment