Thursday, April 16, 2020

Devotional 2: This Leg of the Journey


From Susan Spear

Not to travel is to travel. I continue to make the sign of the cross when I pour the coffee, sit down at my desk, open the Zoom classroom, or start a new poem. As I teach online during this stay-safe-in-place pilgrimage I’ve traveled into my students’ kitchens, living rooms, and bedrooms (note to self: establish some Zoom etiquette if this continues in August). And I’ve traveled to Dublin, Limerick, Vietnam, Georgia in the 1950s. I’ve driven across the Badlands on an empty tank of gas and trudged across China, rebelling with the Boxers.
I fill the essential oil diffuser and pray for students and their parents who have the virus, who have been exposed to the virus, who have lost their jobs, who have no job after graduation, who have been raped, who have no motivation to study, who have no home – literally, and who have found their faith bruised.
My virtual pilgrimage extends far and wide, and it requires skills I must learn on the job: “How do I share this Excel spreadsheet on my desktop with my colleagues in this virtual faculty meeting? How can I interest 23 students in 23 different locations in this poem they are struggling to understand?” The learning curve is steep. Every day I hear someone say, “When we return to the way things were...” But is the purpose of pilgrimage to return and settle into our former lives?
When Noah and Company disembarked from the boat onto soggy land, I doubt that they said, “Whew, glad that’s over. Let’s build an altar to the Moon god.” When Joseph and Mary returned home from Egypt with the young Jesus, I doubt they said, “We’re safe now. Let’s settle into synagogue life and have more children.” No, they didn’t, for they had been changed by the pilgrimage. They were on a continual pilgrimage into the heart of God.
On Monday, overwhelmed with papers to grade and added administrative tasks, I did the logical thing (tongue in cheek): I practiced yoga to a live stream. As I slowed down and stretched, I wondered what the new paradigm will look like? What is this time teaching me about the future? What do I want to take with me from this leg of the journey into the next?  What do I need to let go of?
A soul on pilgrimage intentionally lets go of some things to pursue the best thing, to pursue God. Perhaps Jesus is gently saying, “Yes, fill the diffuser with lavender, pray for those young people, but let me take it from there. You’ve packed too much.” Perhaps Jesus is saying, “I see that you are conscientious. But use the extra morning time to work on poems. Tomorrow is another day to finish that report. It’s OK to resign from that committee.” Perhaps Jesus is saying, take time to check in with your colleagues each day. And not about work. Perhaps Jesus is quietly repeating, “Breathe. Remember me? I’ve got this.” On pilgrimage, our goal is a deeper relationship with Jesus. Let us consider what we can let go of. What am I carrying that is too heavy for this journey? Let’s prayerfully consider what we want to permanently discard and what we want to adopt for whatever the future holds.
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. I sit down at my desk. A little lighter for today’s leg of this virtual pilgrimage.

No comments:

Post a Comment