Friday, April 24, 2020

Dichotomy


By Pat Russell


This might be a long one, so grab a cup of coffee and a comfortable chair for the duration. I think I will title this “Dichotomy.”

Wednesday, I woke up with an overwhelming sense of peace. This is what I wrote in my journal:

“Within my soul I have a deep peace this morning. Hearing how the birds are singing more loudly than ever all over the world because of less noise pollution brought a deep peace to me. Knowing air pollution has decreased in these days makes my soul even more peaceful.

“These are not empty lost days for me. They are full of bounty. I read this in the Celtic Prayer Book, ‘O that you would bless me and enlarge my borders.’ (1 Chronicles 4:10). Chris Ainsley then wrote, ‘It took enforced exile to bring this word about realigning our spiritual geography so to speak. When your borders are enlarged, so are your horizons.’ I cannot believe the peace that is everywhere I look in my soul. It is as if I woke up in a very holy place… Something beautiful is happening all over the world in the midst of the suffering. I don’t want to minimize the worst for people, but over top and wrapping the world, You are finding a way to bless us.”

Later Wednesday morning I spoke with a friend in India. She lives in a small apartment with her husband, her young daughter, her two adult daughters, and her mother-in-law. She is heading up all the household duties which she does not enjoy, as well as leading Zoom Bible studies and watching over groups in her church. They are “at home” like we are. I have been to her home and I am sure people are sleeping everywhere. It is their hot, dry season and the fan was whirring while we talked. She told me how migrant workers are stuck in place and cannot work. They are hungry and sick, and the church is trying to minister to them in this crisis.

Wednesday evening we watched the news as usual. The reports came in from the world and our country – deaths totaling almost 200,000, starvation in Yemen, locus plague in Kenya, secrets in China, dead bodies being wheeled out from nursing homes all over America and the rest of the world.

In my dreams last night (Thursday) I saw a very busy, busy factory surrounding me with many people working as hard as they could to make things happen. Somewhere in the night I started thinking, “What if this goes on and on? What if there are food shortages here? What if my brother-in-law on dialysis gets the virus? What can I do to help? What can I do to help? Sell my home and give the money to those on the front lines? I sit in this ivory tower of peace and beauty while the world is suffering beyond any of my experience.”
And then, and then, I received this text from Denise Wanzeck. This is her granddaughter, Gracie Lynn.


I cried. So simple, so pure. In the midst of her day’s “routine” this was her prayer. It is now my prayer, “Dear Jesus, my dear Jesus, bless my day, bless my day. How may we be like you? How may we be like you? Whisper prayer.”  I thought of these words from Isaiah 11.

“The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb,
The leopard shall lie down with the young goat,
The calf and the young lion and fatling together;
And a little child shall lead them.”


No comments:

Post a Comment