Thursday, March 31, 2022

The Refrigerator Door

By Marilyn Travis

I don’t know why, but I have lately become fascinated with what I find on refrigerator doors. I spent a few minutes in an online search and found I am not the only person interested in such things. In fact, there are several articles available from various sources:

 •  Woman’s Day: “What Do Your Refrigerator Doors Say About You?

 •  theKitchn.com: “What Your Refrigerator Décor Reveals About Who You Really Are”

 •  Fridge Psychology (I’m not joking!): …celebrates the refrigerator doors…that are the collage of you.

My mother-in-law has so many items posted on her refrigerator I can hardly tell what color the fridge is. Her refrigerator is completely covered with photos, artwork, and clippings showcasing her grandchildren. One look at her fridge and you know how much she loves them.

My daughter’s refrigerator has quite a few photos of family and friends on various adventures, most in which she participated. She values her friends and family and the memories they share. The photos are placed in a random pattern. She likes her place to look casual and comfortable.
 
Our son, a true minimalist, has nothing on his refrigerator. He hates clutter in any form!

Our refrigerator has just a few items posted on it. I don’t like clutter either, but I feel compelled to post a few things in a neat, orderly way. The right side of my fridge has two magnets. One says, “I (heart) Chihuahuas.” The other is also a magnet describing any dog, but of course mine has a picture of a white chihuahua. The other side has a couple of helpful measurement equivalents sheets held up with magnets painted with miniature mountain scenes, and a couple of magnets with scripture written on them holding a picture I cut out of one of the Sunday bulletins. I cut out the words from the refrain of “My Chains Are Gone” and glued them to the picture. It holds special meaning to me. Frank and Donna Pinson sang “Amazing Grace/My Chains are Gone” at my mother’s memorial service. It was beautiful and special. One look at my refrigerator and you know we love Elwood, our chihuahua, mountains are important to us, and we are people of faith. When I look at my fridge I am reminded that God is faithful, I am saved, and God’s mercy and grace rain down on me every day.

I began to ponder – if our refrigerator doors reveal so much about our personalities and interests, how much more does our personal demeanor, our behavior and our language communicate who we are and what we believe? Many verses in the Bible refer to how we should “clothe” ourselves as Christians.

Colossians 3:12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.

Isaiah 61:10 I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For He has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.

Romans 13:14 …clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.

Ephesians 6:14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.

Let’s pray: Lord, please clothe me in compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Please help me to be the person you intend me to be. Thank you for your grace, your forgiveness and your love. In Jesus’ name, amen.

I hope you enjoy “Amazing Grace/My Chains are Gone,” performed by Chris Tomlin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbe7OruLk8

No comments:

Post a Comment