Friday, March 18, 2022

Finding Your Joy

By Barb Batt


"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." (Romans 15:13)

During these difficult times, I find myself looking for some joy and peace in my life to offset the challenging daily news.

One of my sources of joy is volunteering at a local ranch that offers equine therapy to mentally, emotionally and physically challenged children and adults. I am the side walker for the client while she is on the horse. I really enjoy this position as I get to interact with the client as I walk on the side of the horse. My client is a young mentally and physically challenged girl. She is given a soft steering wheel toy while she rides. We ask her to turn the steering wheel to the side where the horse should turn. She is so enthusiastic when she says, "Turn left!" or "Turn right!" I am so filled with happiness from interacting with my client. Her simple joy of riding the horse radiates to anyone who is near her. She is not aware of her disabilities while she is riding the horse.

I found the following words from the March 14th Jesus Listens devotional prayer by Sarah Young:

"You have been showing me that hope is like a golden cord connecting me to heaven. This cord helps me hold my head up high even when multiple trials are buffeting me."
 
During this Lenten season, try to find the joy and peace that sustains you during these turbulent times. It can be as simple as taking a walk in our beautiful countryside.

Let's pray: Father God, help us to remember the joy found in the wonderful world you created. Keep us from focusing on this broken world. Remind us that you never leave us, and you are protecting us from dangers. In your powerful name, Jesus. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment