Monday, March 28, 2022

Good Enough?

By Barb Batt

During this Lenten season, I am examining my character weaknesses, and praying for God's help to improve them. One of my constant challenges is when I compare myself to others and feel bad that I don't measure up. I found the following March 16th devotional in The Confident Woman Devotional by Joyce Meyer, which really spoke to me on my struggles.

All must test their own work; then that work, rather than their neighbor's work, will become a cause for pride. Galatians 6:4

I know someone -- I'll call her Pat-- who was married and had three children. She was a full-time mother and homemaker, but unless she had help cleaning her home once a week, she struggled to get everything done and remain peaceful.

Pat had a friend named Mary who was also married and had five children. Mary worked outside the home two days a week and did all her own housework, cooking, and laundry with no outside help. Actually, it seemed Mary was more peaceful and less temperamental than Pat, even though she had more to do.

Pat felt very bad about herself because she just could not seem to get everything done without help. In her thoughts and conversations, she constantly compared herself with Mary. She put herself under so much pressure that she became difficult to get along with. She carried a burden of guilt most of the time, and it started affecting her mood and her health. She finally came to understand we are all different, and that is perfectly acceptable. She did not need to be able to do what Mary did in order to approve of herself.

Are you comparing yourself to someone else? Let go of that! God created you, and He doesn't make mistakes!

Lord, free me from the guilt and shame that comes from comparing myself with others and not measuring up. I am joined to Jesus today, and I will give Him my very best. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment