Thursday, March 3, 2022

Reflections on Ash Wednesday and Lent

By Cathy Ramsey

 


Ash Wednesday marks the beginning of Lent, a 40-day season of fasting, reflection, and remembrance before the Holy Week and resurrection of Jesus on Easter Sunday. It is a holy day that signifies the beginning of Lent. It marks the entry into a season of spiritual preparation for Holy Week, which culminates in Easter. Any march toward the redeeming work of Christ must begin with a recognition of our need for his grace—and that reminder is Ash Wednesday. The day affirms that we are dust, as ashes are literally spread in a cross on our foreheads. The cross represents Jesus and how he has redeemed us. We are encouraged to seek repentance with humble hearts and prepare for his gift. (www.biblestudytools.com)

These are some practices for Ash Wednesday and the remainder of the first week of Lent.

DAY 1: ASH WEDNESDAY

MEDITATE: 1 Peter 5:6 - So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor.

PRAY: Lord, I am not my own. I am a sinner and I have fallen short of your glory, yet you became a man to die on a cross in my place. Thank you for loving me that much, Jesus! In this season, may I be crucified with Christ so I can truly live.

REFLECT: How am I conforming to culture? What would it look like to follow the way of Jesus instead?

DAY 2:

MEDITATE: Psalm 118:25-26 – Please, Lord, please save us. Please, Lord, please give us success. Bless the one who comes in the name of the Lord. We bless you from the house of the Lord.

PRAY: Lord, help me to dive into this season of Lent with intentionality and purpose. I want to know you better, love you more fully, and accept your grace more readily. Draw me closer to you, day by day.

REFLECT: What has been the most meaningful part of this Lenten season for you? What will you remember?

DAY 3:

MEDITATE: 1 Samuel 15:22 – But Samuel replied, what is more pleasing to the Lord; your burnt offerings and sacrifices or your obedience to his voice? Listen! Obedience is better than sacrifice, and submission is better that offering the fat of rams.

PRAY: Lord, I pray that I wouldn’t make Lent about myself this year, but instead about your great love for me through your sacrifice of Jesus. May I focus on your love above all else-- thank you, Jesus, for giving your life for mine.

REFLECT: Where am I focusing my attention? Should I be giving up something for Lent?

DAY 4:

MEDITATE: Matthew 4:1-2 – Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted there by the devil. For forty days and forty nights he fasted and became very hungry.

PRAY: Jesus, help me to set aside time for worship and reflection in this season of Lent. Help me draw nearer to you and understand you more deeply. May I receive the overwhelming graces you have to offer me, today and everyday.

REFLECT: How can I honor the sacrifice of Jesus through my life?

(From www.biblestudytools.com – 40 Day Lent Devotional)

A Prayer for Ash Wednesday

Merciful God, you called us forth from the dust of the earth; you claimed us for Christ in the waters of baptism. Look upon us as we enter these Forty Days bearing the mark of ashes, and bless the journey through the desert of Lent to the font of rebirth. As we remember our mortality and seek penitence today, we know you to be a God who is rich in forgiveness and abounding in steadfast love, love that culminates in eternal life with you. Guide our steps this Lent, so that we might find greater fulfillment in your promises and better serve others with a heart that’s reflective of you. Amen.

 (From www.baylor.edu)

No comments:

Post a Comment