Thursday, July 23, 2020

What Is Christian Simplicity?


By Marilyn McGrath


Dallas Willard defines simplicity as “the arrangement of life around a few consistent purposes, explicitly excluding what is not necessary to human wellbeing.”

Richard Foster defines spiritual simplicity as “the inward reality of single hearted focus upon God and his kingdom, which results in an outward lifestyle of modesty, openness, and unpretentiousness and which disciplines our hunger for status, glamour, and luxury.”

He also writes that “simplicity is about breaking the hold money has on us, not necessarily saving more or spending less.” He applies this idea to hoarding as well, and his example is those who grow spiritually and treasure their experiences but do not share these gifts from God with others.


So, living simply means more than being frugal with my resources. It means dropping the clutter from my life. It also means resisting the cultural pressure to be busy and productive and to achieve recognition or rewards for my work. It requires turning inward to become familiar with the rhythms of my soul, the things that motivate me from deep within myself (where God dwells within me). And then pouring out myself in love to others.

My favorite scholars (Willard, Foster, Kierkegaard, Nouwen) write about the different aspects of simplicity, and its relation to asceticism, frugality, and poverty. They expound on the positives of these aspects as well as the negative side, which is how they can attract us as a way of earning favor with God. While these writers each emphasize varying aspects of simplicity, they all agree that rather than seeking to live simply, simply seek first the kingdom of God and many of the complexities of our lives will lose their attraction for us and fall away.

Matt 6:35 “Seek first the Kingdom of God and his righteousness and all these things will be given to you as well.”

Matt 7:8 “For everyone who asks, receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.”

Matt 10:40 “Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me.”

Matt 10:42 “And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.”

Luke 12:29-31 “And do not keep striving for what you are to eat and what you are to drink and do not keep worrying. For it is the nations of the world that strive after all these things, and your Father knows that you need them. Instead, strive for his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. Do not be afraid, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.”

Dearest Father,

The crickets and birds grace the morning with their song of blessing to you.
The cool morning air fills me with energy for the day opening before us.
I welcome you with the morning song and cool air into my heart, to walk with me through this day.
May I walk this day with the love of Jesus in my eyes and in my words and in my hands.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment