Tuesday, July 14, 2020

The Cloak of Christ's Love


By Marilyn McGrath


Sarah Young, in Jesus Calling, writes, “Seek to live in My love, which covers a multitude of sins (1 Peter 4:8); both yours and others’. Wear my love like a cloak of light, covering you from head to toe.”

A lovely thought… So what is it like to wear Jesus’ love like a cloak of light? What will we do beneath the cloak? We cannot hide – the cloak is love and light. Facing toward Jesus, “we can open up a space within ourselves for God to work. We can become fully conscious of what we are about to do rather than mindlessly completing another task.” Christine Valters Paintner in The Soul’s Slow Ripening, pg. 9

When I am conscious of being covered by Jesus’ love, for that moment I think of and see those I am with in a kindly way, and that starts our conversation on good and friendly terms. I find I am more open with that person.

“When we skim over the surface of life, we lose the sacred attentiveness that brings forth revelations in very ordinary moments.” The Soul’s Slow Ripening, pg. 9. But beneath the cloak, I can slow down and cultivate friendships I might not otherwise make time for. I can develop interests that nourish my soul, knowing that the joy from those pursuits will spill over into the work I do for my Lord. Best of all, the love and light of the cloak soak into my body and mind, filling me with gratitude, and also spilling over onto others.

Because living beneath the cloak is a journey of living like Jesus, and “sometimes our deepest purpose is discovered in living our ordinary lives with great reverence and attention. Our call may not be to change anything in our life other than our perspective.” The Soul’s Slow Ripening, pg. 156.

In the years that I have purposely sought to grow spiritually, my perspective on life, people, goals, and ideals have all changed several times under the tutelage of Jesus and my earthly teachers. At first the changes seemed harsh, even extreme. As I have continued along this path, the changes have become softer, like welcome revelations, and I enjoy sitting with them and meditating on them, on their significance to me and the people whom those changes may touch.

When I think of a person or group of people that I don’t understand or am at odds with, whether socially, politically or spiritually, and I think of changing my perspective to see them as Jesus would, it occurs to me that Jesus dismisses no one. He is open to every single person on earth and looks on each one through eyes of love, even those who reject Him.

“Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to it! How often I have desired to gather your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!” (Matt 23:37). Yet still, He offers them love and forgiveness. “He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart, so that they might not look with their eyes, and understand with their heart and turn – and I would heal them.” (John 12:40).

Remember, the cloak of Jesus’ love covers a multitude of sins, both yours and others’. “And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.” (1 Cor. 13:13). So, for today, I cover myself with Jesus’ cloak of love to see all through his eyes of love. “My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.” (John 15:12).

No comments:

Post a Comment