Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Lost Glasses


By Pat Russell




July 9, 2020 Wednesday morning.

I can’t find my glasses. I have looked on the shelf that rests by the bed where I put them when I go to sleep. They are not there. They are not under the folded blankets that also rest on that shelf. They are not around the edge of my mattress nor are they under the mattress because I have even lifted that up to look. I am frustrated because I know that they have to be in this small trailer somewhere. I wore them last night just before I went to sleep as I read in bed.

Larry is sitting in his chair drinking his morning coffee. He is giving me ideas of where to look. Since the trailer is so small, we cannot be in the same area, otherwise he would be helping me. We will eat breakfast together – cereal and fruit. Finally, I give up, at least for now. I have to find them to enjoy life so I will go back at it after I eat and drink.

I plop down beside Larry and take my cup of coffee in hand. We chat about where those things could have gone. He gets up and checks the bathroom. Perhaps I wore them when I went in there. I don’t really remember doing that, but anything is possible. They have to be here in this relatively small space that is very nicely organized. We chat on after the failed attempt to find them in the bathroom.

I look at Larry while drinking my coffee. “You have on new glasses,” I say in all sincerity. He has several styles of glasses. “These are squarer than his rounds,” I am thinking. He says, “I do?” It is in that moment that we realize that he has on MY glasses.

We laughed until we cried. We still laugh when we think about that morning.

This incident reminds me of Jesus saying, “…blessed are your eyes because they see.” He said that about ears, too. (I hope that Larry doesn’t ever put on my hearing aids when I get them). Jesus’ parables are like my lost glasses. The truth is so obvious, but we must do some searching in our minds and hearts to see the meaning that is meant for our particular life. Then, when it’s finally found, we laugh for the joy of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment