Friday, July 3, 2020

Thy Kingdom Come, Thy Will Be Done


By Pat Russell


We finished teaching at a women’s leadership training in China, and we were up for a break before we headed on to our next event in another city. My friend and I decided that we would take a walk down the pedestrian zone in the heart of this beautiful mega-city for our Sabbath day. We were feeling like the Kingdom of Heaven was all around us and His Reign was alive and well.

There, right on the edge of a lovely park was a coffee shop of world renown, so we purchased our too-expensive coffee and pastries and headed up an outdoor flight of stairs to the patio above. As we climbed the stairs, there she was – a little lady about four and a half feet tall. Her face was round and red from sunburn, wrapped in a scarf. She wore peasant clothes that were mismatched and dirty. Her teeth were yellow and only partially present.

She carried a shoeshine kit in one hand – a small box with a place to put your foot so that she could work on your shoes. And so it was that she offered to clean our shoes. She greeted us at the top of the steps and followed us over to the patio constantly making the offer even though we put our hands up to say no. We sat down and she was right beside our table waiting for us to give in.

Finally my friend and I gave her a small portion of our pastry hoping that this would suffice and she would leave us alone to enjoy our Sabbath day. We were, after all, “holy women” who had served the Lord with all our hearts the day before.

The little lady took our offerings, pulled up her shoeshine box and sat down below us. Picture a people-triangle by an umbrella café table – my friend sitting on a chair, a little Chinese peasant lady sitting on a shoeshine kit, not quite coming up as high as the table, and then me sitting on another café chair. My friend and I looked at each other in wonderment at this woman’s persistence. We did not look at her. We ate bites of our pastry and drank our warm coffee.

The little shoeshine lady stood up when she was finished and simply, quietly remained between us. We reluctantly gave her more of our pastries. She ate while standing.  Soon after she wandered away.

It was in that moment when the little shoeshine lady was gone that my friend and I looked at one another and realized our great omission. We had missed the very presence of Christ among us. I believe that the little shoeshine lady wanted to join our fellowship, wanted to sit at our table with us, but we did not want her.

I did not have eyes to see. I could have engaged the shoeshine lady with my eyes even though we could not talk, and l could have had the love and kindness of Christ in my heart while I sat beside this little lady. Instead, I thought that if I acted kindly that would be the same thing as being kind from the inside out. I could have let go of my agenda for the agenda of the Kingdom of Heaven. Instead, I saw her as an interruption that, if ignored, would go away. I missed a chance to interact with Christ for the price of a coffee and pastry.

I was sad, sad that I missed Christ that day, sad that I rejected the little shoeshine lady as a sister. I am still sad when I think of that experience. I have asked forgiveness. Since that time, I have heard his voice, “Pat, next time. Next time you will see me. I believe you will, my dear child.” Oh how I pray that will be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment