Saturday, July 25, 2020

The Kingdom of God, Part 3 (the Transformational Community)


By Phil Wood


In Part 1 of this series I offered a simple working definition for the kingdom of God: a place where the will of God is done. Well, that definition served its purpose at the time, but as I've continued to write about the kingdom, I've already stumbled onto a major flaw in that definition.

It's not really a place. It's a community.

It's a courageous, contagious, counter cultural group of people of all ages, all colors, people of every possible description scattered all over the world, but who have one thing in common: the love of Jesus Christ as their main operating principle.

In Part 2, I offered a simple working definition for the love of Christ: a passionate commitment to the well-being of others, actually willing the good of others, even at the expense of ourselves. Author and spiritual director Jan Johnson put it more simply. "Love," she said, "is engaging will for the good of others."

This is what Jesus taught, isn't it? Putting others before ourselves, looking not to our own interests, but the interests of others, going the extra mile, walking in the other's shoes, welcoming the stranger...engaging our will for the good of others.

Does this love involve feelings of closeness? Sure, sometimes. But that's not critical to the definition of love in the context of the kingdom. In that context, love is the intention to walk alongside others – some of whom may drive us crazy!

I have a friend in the church who admitted a couple of years ago, that I used to drive her up a wall!  I know. What was she thinking, right? Well, she is the get-it-done-now kind of person, and I'm more the plodding, methodical, consider-all-the-options, and deep-think-everything-to-death kind of guy. I can see where I might have gotten under her skin a little bit.

Then something changed. I didn't get any less methodical or deep-thinking. She didn't get any less eager to get things done. But I don't drive her up a wall anymore. At least I don't think so. What happened?

Well, I think Jesus happened. Kingdom principles kicked in. We were transformed. Our will is now engaged for the good of each other. This is love the way Jesus demonstrates it, the laying down of one's life for one's friends.

And this brings me to what I think is another really important aspect of the kingdom of God. It's called Christ-like listening. Putting aside our own agenda to actually hear what another is saying.

For my own part, I have to say I find it hard to just listen without offering my "great wisdom" on whatever the other person is talking about. And it's hard for me to comprehend that the other person may not even care to hear my great wisdom. He or she may just need to talk. And I need to be able to listen. Sometimes there is something important that needs to be said in return. Sometimes not. And it's very hard for me to distinguish between the two.

Ruth Haley Barton, author and founding president/CEO of the Transforming Center, has some very helpful thinking about this issue. I'm not sure I entirely get this, but I sense there is something very deep and true about it, and I need to understand it.

She says, "Transforming community involves cultivating a kind of spiritual companionship that is very different from what we usually experience. It involves being present to the person we are listening to, yes, but even more importantly being present to God on the other's behalf."

Being present to God on the other's behalf. We are to listen for what God's desire or guidance for that person would be, not what our best advice might be or how we can be most helpful. Isn't that how Jesus listened to people? He was aware of himself and the other person in God's presence, desiring only to be responsive to whatever God was doing in the moment.

Jesus loved Peter. But when Peter said, "Never, Lord! This shall never happen to you," Jesus spoke the truth in love and said, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns."

An extreme example, perhaps, but Jesus was present to Peter, and listened to what he was saying, and he was also aware of what God was doing in the moment and told Peter what God wanted him to know – things that changed Peter's life.

I have a long way to go before I'm able to speak that truthfully, and with such sureness of what God wants to do in the moment. But Jesus makes it clear that listening to God on behalf of others is an important outgrowth of Christ-like love, and a vital characteristic of life in the kingdom.

Father, you sent your son to show us what your kingdom is like, and I want to be a part of it. I admit I fall short. Help me, Lord, to focus primarily on our shared love of Christ and to engage my will for the good of others. Help me to be more present to you, more present to others, and more able to listen to you on their behalf. In the name of Jesus, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment