Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Peace, Be Still


By Marilyn Travis


No doubt about it, we are living in the midst of a storm. The waves rocking our boat and threatening to undo us are immense and powerful. Our world has changed, and change is frightening! It isn’t necessary to list each of the waves, we are buffeted by them every day – it seems there is no escape!

Enter Jesus:  Mark 4:35-41


I am intrigued by the story of Jesus calming the storm. I can relate to the disciples. I’m not sure what terrified them more, the storm or the fact that Jesus controlled the weather. They believed in Him. They had seen Him heal the sick, drive out evil spirits, raise the dead, yet – having power even over the heavens – being able to calm the storm without a bead of sweat – WOW! God’s power, embodied in Jesus, hit them squarely. BAM! I can barely imagine what they were thinking and feeling.

At the beginning of the story, we see the humanity in Jesus. He is sleeping. He must have been very tired. I don’t know exactly what would have happened if the disciples hadn’t wakened Jesus, but I’m sure God would have guided them through the storm to the other side of the lake, where a demon-possessed man lived in need of deliverance. In this case, Jesus calmed the storm, and in the process proved He indeed is fully God as well as fully man. One way or another, God’s mercy and provision is evident. Though they had seen Him do great things, they were only human, and fear of the sudden storm took over their emotions. At the least, we can certainly understand their fears as the storm pounded their boat, then the awe they must have experienced when the wind suddenly died down and the water became smooth.

Consider Psalm 46

God is our refuge and strength,
An ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore, we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea.
Though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her; she will not fall;
He lifts His voice, the earth melts.
The Lord Almighty is with us;
The God of Jacob is our fortress.

Come and see the works of the Lord,
the desolations he has brought on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the ends of the earth;
He breaks the bow and shatters the spear,
He burns the shields with fire.

Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.
The Lord Almighty is with us;
The God of Jacob is our fortress.

When I was a little girl, I remember several occasions when I found myself at the edge of a precipice, be it a swimming pool, or high up on the monkey bars – looking down at my Dad. He would be standing there with his arms outstretched saying “I will catch you. I will not let you fall. Trust me.”

He had proved time and time again he could be trusted, so even though I was afraid, I jumped. I put my life in his hands and he never let me fall.  How much more can I trust my heavenly father? Why do I still find I’m afraid?

Both the story of Jesus calming the storm and Psalm 46 remind us to awaken. God is offering us peace of mind, deep peace of the soul. We only have to put our trust in Him.

Listen to "Peace, Be Still." Let it stir your very soul. Breathe in the peace of the Lord. God bless you.



No comments:

Post a Comment