Thursday, October 15, 2020

Priorities

By Marilyn Travis

I’ve been struggling this week trying to think of something to write for my devotional. I would love to relate how I prayed about it long and hard, listening carefully for an epiphany from the Lord, or how I devoured Scripture and studied inspirational and insightful works in order to create an inspirational and insightful devotional. Instead, I read a novel. In my defense, it was really engaging and a page turner! I decided this past week to spend less time on my phone playing word games, coloring pictures by number and commenting on Facebook posts. I wanted to escape from reality and feed my brain with an old love – reading.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with reading. Reading is good. However, I allowed my interest in the novel to take over my life. I did not read my Sunday School lesson or do the Personal Study questions that accompany the reading. My house got just minimal attention, phone calls were neglected, laundry piled up… and then panic set in! I did sincerely pray this morning on my way to work at Costco. That time of prayer was centering, calming. I vowed to get this devotional written upon my return from work. That was four hours ago – but I finished my novel!

I can almost feel the Lord shaking His head or possibly rolling His eyes. But even so, He loves me. He understands. He is waiting for me to get my priorities in order.

 Psalm 139: 1-3

O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; You are familiar with all my ways.

Romans 8:38-39:

And I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Not even a great novel!

Here’s the thing. Even though I enjoyed the novel, the entire time I was reading I knew I was neglecting the Lord and important work that needed to be done. If I had been a good steward of time, I would have spent time with the Lord, completed my work and still had time to truly enjoy reading the novel. I might not have finished it so quickly but stretching out a great story would also have been rewarding.

I hope you enjoy this hymn. I pray my life will grow to reflect a life in Christ as described in these lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rChnJ15-mj0 

No comments:

Post a Comment