Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Discipleship, Part 2

By Cathy Ramsey

As I mentioned last week, I’ve been studying discipleship during the coronavirus. Because of my health issues, we’ve been extremely careful about leaving home during these times, so I’ve had lots of time for prayer and study. An article written by Jeannette Hagen, a doctoral student, forms the basis for the following study of discipleship. I hope it helps if you are also interested in discipleship to Jesus.

 1.     Discipleship is about a relationship with Jesus.

Michael Wilkins in Following the Master, A Biblical Theology of Discipleship has defined a disciple of Jesus as one who “has come to Jesus for eternal life, has claimed Jesus as Savior and God, and has embarked upon the life of following Jesus.”  

 

His constant presence in my life, and His promise to never leave nor forsake me, encourages me to daily follow Him.  When I felt lost in early 2013, the Holy Spirit spoke to me and told me to come back to Him and to put Jesus in the forefront of my life. He never gave up on me and it changed my life. While my journey seems to be moving slowly, it feels like it is definitely moving in the right direction for which I am very grateful. I have so much more joy and peace in my life. At the heart of following Him is this undeserved relationship I have with Him.

 

2.     Discipleship is enabled and empowered by the work of the Holy Spirit who transforms us into the image of Christ.

The Holy Spirit indwells and fills believers (Eph. 5:18), guides us into all truth (John 16:13), brings forth fruit in our lives (Gal. 5:22-23) and empowers us for ministry in the church and in the world. The Spirit is God’s presence within us (Rom. 8:11) to confirm that we are indeed children of God (Rom. 8:16).

 

The Holy Spirit speaks to us to convict us of our sins to enable the continuing process of conforming us into the image of Christ.  Understanding the role of the Holy Spirit encourages our response of submitting to His sanctifying work. The more I listen for the will of God and seek His guidance, the more I hear the Holy Spirit speaking to me.

 

3.     Discipleship is grounded and guided by the Word of God.

The Bible is our authority in all areas of life.  “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” (John 8:31-32). Consistent nourishment from God’s word is a vital component of one’s spiritual growth (Psalm 1, John 15). The more I read the bible, the more I understand about God and grow into my relationship with Him.

 

4.     Discipleship is nurtured in community.

 

Community with other believers is a vital part of our growth as disciples.  We were made to be in fellowship with one another.  The imagery of the body of Christ portrays how vitally linked we are to one another.  In such community, we are able to fulfill the command of loving one another and, with this community, to love the world. Worship service, Sunday School, the Spiritual Formation workshops and retreats, bible studies with others, the Spiritual Formation Team and Group, Deacons, and just talking with other believers has enhanced my journey in trying to live in the Kingdom of God more than anything. It has led me to pray more and study the Bible more. While we’ve been very isolated physically due to COVID, there have been so many opportunities to meet with our fellow believers via Zoom meetings. Not nearly as good as being able to hug each other and be in the same room, but much better than not seeing each other at all. I am so grateful for these opportunities at EPC.

 

5.     Discipleship is a continuing process of being transformed from the inside-out.

The ultimate goal of the believer’s life is to be conformed to the image of Christ (Rom. 8:29). Jesus described a radical way of life in the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5, 6, 7).  In a world in which righteousness was very much regarded by one’s outward actions, Jesus emphasized the transformation of the heart.

 

6.     Discipleship produces spiritual fruit.

As the Holy Spirit works to transform the individual and change is made from the inside-out, the characteristics of God become evident in the believer’s life:  love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control (Gal. 5:22-23).

 

7.     Disciples of Christ who are in the process of inward transformation, yield to the Spirit’s leading in service and mission. 

Spiritual formation is both about the inward change of heart and the outward manifestation of that changed heart.  Christ modeled the life of service for His disciples and commands us to serve in humility and love while proclaiming His truth in a lost world.

 

8.     Disciples are called to share in the fellowship of Christ’s sufferings.

As we live in a sin-cursed world, we bear the effects of sin on a daily basis.  With the presence of Christ and the promise of future hope with Him, we are able to endure the pain and even be transformed in the process. Paul writes of this truth in 2 Cor. 4:17: “For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison.”  God invites us to suffer for His sake, for living to honor Christ in a world that is hostile toward Him.  In this, we share in his sufferings and bring glory to Him.

 

9.     Disciples must count the cost.  

Following Christ as His disciple means letting go of one’s own will and seeking the will of God in all things (Luke 9:23).  Nothing must take the place of Jesus as the “focus of allegiance,” as Michael Wilkins explains in his book, Following the Master, A Biblical Theology of Discipleship.

 

10.   Discipleship is a life-long journey.

In my own life, describing my faith and discipleship in terms of the journey metaphor has been vitally important on many different levels.  As I come to different forks in the road, or experience difficult trials, knowing that Jesus is my trustworthy Master and Leader, is my comfort and motivation to continue in this journey of faith and as I continually attempt to take the right path.  I must continue to realize I am a child of God, trust in Him, and endeavor to endure the trials of faith that come with renewed commitment to following Christ on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment