Thursday, October 29, 2020

Out of the Canoe and Onto the Rock

By Marilyn Travis

  

Pray with me. 

O Lord, to whom all hearts are open and every thought is laid bare, guide the little vessels of our souls across the sea in a far better way than we ever have. Command the stormy wind and the troubled waves to be still, and we will look up to you in peace, undisturbed and at rest in union with you. Do not let our thoughts be carried hither and yon by every spirit of this world, but let us see and hear you alone.

 

Forgive us when we display anger, jealousy, ambition or pride which give rise to discord and bitter feelings toward others. Let your Holy Spirit displace all other spirits in our souls so that we may always be filled with your heavenly thoughts and guided by your divine light.

 

I lament my impudence and beg from your hand the comfort, strength and peace of your forgiving and transforming grace. Have mercy that I may rejoice when I am numbered among the peacemakers who are called the children of God. For your glory alone. Amen

                                    Taken from the prayers of Johann Arndt

 

Do any of you feel kind of like you’re navigating agitated waters while standing up in a canoe? Our church is in transition, we’re not sure who will be leading our country, Coronavirus is sharply rising once again. Stress is rising, uncertainty abounds.

 

We each have a choice in how we react to this stress. I pray we will choose to be Spirit filled.

Ephesians 4:1-6, 32 

As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.  

(32) Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

 We don’t have to ride this out in an unstable canoe!  

“I waited patiently for the Lord; He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; He set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.” Psalm 40:1-3.

 In closing, join with me in listening to this beautiful choral rendition of One Faith, One Hope, One Lord by The Woodlands UMC Music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD7oXJrIZWk 

No comments:

Post a Comment