Thursday, May 28, 2020

The Steadfast Love of the Lord


By Marilyn Travis

Now that it is warmer, we've been keeping our bedroom window open at night. The fresh air is nice, but by far the greatest benefit to me is listening to the birds sing in the morning. I lie in bed looking out the window, listening to birdsong, watching the squirrels scamper around the trunk of our big tree in the back yard, and I can't help but be thankful and full of praise.

Each morning brings the promise of a fresh start, a new beginning.

...His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. – Lamentations 3:22-23

I've always loved this verse by itself. It is uplifting and sweet. However, I don't often spend time in the previous verses.

I have been deprived of peace; I have forgotten what prosperity is. So I say, "My splendor is gone and all that I had hoped from the Lord." I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. – Lamentations 3:17-20

I have often awakened in the middle of the night, anxious and full of fear. Maybe one of our children was in crisis, or we had an unexpected financial burden arise. Maybe words were exchanged that left me full of regret, or I have a difficult meeting or conversation looming. Whatever the reason, every worry seems magnified in the night when there is silent darkness all around, and I let my imagination run. The connecting verses in Lamentations are vital:

Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. – Lamentations 3:21-22 

No problem or situation I fear is too great for God to handle. When I am lying awake in the middle of the night, full of anxiety, I often pray Philippians 4:7. I have changed a few words to make them personal.

"(I will) not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, (I) present (my) requests to (you), God. And (Your peace), which transcends understanding, will guard (my) heart and (my) mind in Christ Jesus."

Then I wait in the Lord for morning, when the birds are singing and the day is new, resting in His steadfast love for me. That is all I need.

Enjoy this lovely version of "The Steadfast Love of the Lord Never Ceases."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUlJEcfy4CI

No comments:

Post a Comment