Thursday, May 7, 2020

Strange Questions


By Brooke Momblow

“My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, you people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge.” Psalm 62:7-8

I’ve been struggling lately. Beyond the Covid crisis we’re facing. I’m seeing in new ways how important the refining of my faith is. How necessary living that faith is with the help of the Holy Spirit. Struggling to make decisions on a course of action but trying to listen for His voice. Rooted in scripture, listening for a different way than the same failed ways I’ve acted on in the past. This struggle isn’t welcome, but I see how it keeps me returning to God.

Today I was reading about blind Bartimaeus and his fevered insistence that he meet with Jesus. Some rebuked him, but he just yelled more. He seems certain that Jesus is able to heal him and convinced that Jesus is merciful and compassionate. Jesus calls him and then asks him: “What do you want me to do for you?” It sounds like a strange question considering the answer appears obvious.

That got me thinking about many other times in the Bible where people come seeking Jesus for help, and he asks or says odd things like “Do you want to get well?” There was that paralyzed man who had his friends bring him to Jesus to be healed and instead Jesus said, “Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.” Honestly, do you think the paralyzed man’s heart may have sunk a little in that moment? Or do you think he was excited to receive what Jesus had given him because the paralyzed man could see the bigger spiritual picture? (Jesus did heal him physically.)

A father with a demon-possessed son desperately responds to Jesus with: “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!” He wants to believe; he knows he has doubts and Jesus’ interaction with him prompts an honest appraisal of self and encourages spiritual growth. Yes, that seems to me like the point of Jesus’ strange questions and statements – to encourage spiritual growth. Spiritual growth in faith, love, passion, action, deeper insight into scripture, and a desire for God’s will above all else.

Do you think it’s possible that Jesus was hoping by asking Bartimaeus “What do you want me to do for you?” that Bartimaeus might have a revelation like the one Peter had when he declared Jesus the Son of God? Something only the Holy Spirit could have revealed to Peter. Maybe Jesus was wondering because of Bartimaeus’ faith if he would also have spiritual eyes to ask for something more than just his physical needs? It made ME wonder.

As I continue to struggle, I am reminded God is working for good in it to mold me, and I find myself asking strange questions: “What IS it I want Jesus to do for me?” And I find myself feeling a little like I’ve had a revelation from the Spirit. Revelation to ask not just for my needs, but “Jesus, what would you like to do for me? How do you want me to grow? What would you like to give me in the spiritual realm for the benefit of your kingdom?”

Have you had strange questions rolling around in your mind and spirit? Just maybe Jesus is hoping we all, believing Jesus is who he says he is, will not just have faith to ask for what we need, but will have the spiritual sight to realize the astonishing help and gifts available to us through his Spirit and to ask what Jesus would like to give us? Or maybe he’s asking us to exercise our faith to ask for help to see and to receive?

“I want to live so that I am truly submitted to the Spirit’s leading on a daily basis. Christ said it’s better for us that the Spirit came, and I want to live like that is true. I don’t want to keep crawling when I have the ability to fly.” – Francis Chan

“I do not consecrate myself to be a missionary or a preacher. I consecrate myself to God to do His will where I am, be it school, office, kitchen, or wherever He may in His wisdom send me.” – Watchman Nee

Scripture references: Mark 10:46-52, Matthew 9:2-8, Mark 9:21-24, John 5:6, John 16:7

No comments:

Post a Comment