Friday, May 15, 2020

Praying Scripture


By Brooke Momblow


“So is my word that goes out from my mouth; It will not return to me empty but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” ~ Isaiah 55:11

Praying scripture is a practice that is helpful and powerful. It can be used when we’re not sure what to pray. When we pray for God’s will to be done and not our own, praying his words can help us not interject ours.  

As we practice praying scripture together this morning, let’s start by creating a sacred space. Really that just means a place where you can clear your mind and focus, dedicate the time to interaction with Jesus. Your favorite chair with your dog, outside walking on a quiet path, or your car on the way to work are all sacred spaces when you observe them that way. 

Below are several scriptures you can use, or you may have one of your own you’d like to use. Pick one that stands out to you and pray it for yourself, then pick one to pray for someone who has been on your mind.

Before you begin, allow me to pray one for all of us:

“I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people.” ~ Ephesians 1:17-18  

Amen.

Scriptures:

“Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me.” ~ Psalm 51:10-12

“May the Lord direct your hearts into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance.” ~ 2 Thessalonians 3:5

“For this reason, I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.” ~ 2 Timothy 1:6-7

“…He awakens me each morning; he awakens my ear to listen like those being instructed. The Lord God has opened my ear, and I was not rebellious; I did not turn back.” ~ Isaiah 50:4-5

“And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ – to the glory and praise of God.”  ~ Philippians 1:9-11

“With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may bring to fruition your every desire for goodness and your every deed prompted by faith."  ~ 2 Thessalonians 1:11

“Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing his will, and may he work in us what is pleasing to him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.” ~ Hebrews 13:20-21

“I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh.” ~Ezekiel 11:19
“I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.” ~ Psalm 32:8

“I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge – that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.” ~ Ephesians 3:16-19

No comments:

Post a Comment