Thursday, May 28, 2020

A Whole Different Kind of Baptism


By Phil Wood


After his suffering, he presented himself to them and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. He appeared to them over a period of forty days and spoke about the kingdom of God. On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit."

Then they gathered around him and asked him, "Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?"

He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.
                                                                                                                              Acts 1:3-9

One of the best ways to really engage in Scripture and to truly comprehend the magnitude of what is being told, is to put yourself into the scene and imagine it is happening before your very eyes. Jesus spoke the words above in the last moments of his last appearance before ascending into heaven. Only the eleven apostles were with him. So to be present in this scene, you'll need to imagine yourself as one of the Eleven. I get to be Philip because, well, he's my namesake. You'll have to pick the one you think is most like you.

In Matthew's account they are at the Mount of Olives, just outside of Jerusalem. Other accounts don't mention a location, but state only that they were "at table" or, as in this account, they were simply eating together. Wherever it was, they were probably out of doors in broad daylight because, in the next few sentences, they're watching Jesus disappear into the clouds. So let's put ourselves at the Mount of Olives, maybe having a picnic together.

I picture us sitting in the shade of an olive tree, with a few rock outcroppings and some scattered vegetation around. Olive trees have a very distinct scent. Can you smell it on the breeze?

We're enjoying some intimate moments together with a guy we watched being cruelly put to death just 40 days ago. How does one even process that? How do you even come to grips with the fact that he was dead and now he's alive, and here we are sitting around chatting with him, enjoying his company. It feels good to me, kind of like old times, though I know it's short lived. I can feel my head going back and forth in disbelief. Can this really be happening?

Obviously, we apostles still haven't put it all together about what the prophets said concerning the Messiah and his kingdom. Jesus has just told us we're about to be baptized with the Holy Spirit, and we just skip right over that and want to know if now is the time he's going to take command and restore Israel to self rule.

I don't know about you, but I can't really focus on that discussion. In my mind I'm going, "Wait a second. Hang on. What was that part about being baptized with the Holy Spirit? What does that mean, exactly? Because that sounds like something very big and very important is about to happen to me and, you know, I'm not quite sure if I'm ready."

Jesus isn't about to get off track, either, so he goes on to say, "...you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." Then, before any of us can ask another question, he's gone.

Now we're all standing here, looking up at the sky. It has become very quiet. The breeze is blowing through my hair and I feel a little shiver go up my spine. I wonder if I'll ever see my friend again. And I wonder what is about to happen. Jesus just told me that, in a matter of days, at an unspecified time, I'm going to be baptized by the Holy Spirit of God! Somehow, the Holy Spirit is going to "come upon me." I'm going to receive power. And I'm going to be changed forever.

Something has been triggered in me and I'm now in full alert mode. I'm watching. I'm nervously awaiting whatever is going to happen.

You? As another one of the apostles in this account, all this is about to happen to you, as well. Has the magnitude of what has been said sunk in? What thoughts are running through your head? What emotions are you feeling? Are you excited? Overwhelmed? Confused? Scared to death?

May I suggest that you sit with your thoughts for a few moments? Let the Spirit bring your thoughts into focus for you. Talk to God about them. Then, after a while, let yourself drift back to the here and now.

Lord, here and now, we're just a few days away from Pentecost. We have seen your Holy Spirit alive and active in these days of COVID-19, here and around the world. Help us to be watchful for what may happen very soon. Keep us alert for what the Holy Spirit might be up to in our own hearts. Make us ready for a life completely open to the renewing work of the Spirit. In the holy name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment