Friday, May 8, 2020

Holy Ground


By Pat Russell

While reading from Celtic Daily Prayer: Book Two, Farther Up and Farther In, I was taken by an Elizabeth Barrett Browning poem:

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
But only he who sees takes off his shoes,
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

As I meditated on this thought, I, first of all, found the word "crammed" a lovely concept. Everywhere, in everything, overflowing, in all the "corners," from top to bottom, cannot get any more in. That is overwhelming to think of heaven being "with us" that way.

Then, "every common bush afire with God." "Common bush" – it does not have to be something spectacular that is afire; it is something right around me – one of the numerous ponderosa pines around me. Even a single iris blade coming up in my garden is afire with God.

"He who sees takes off his shoes." I knew the reference to Moses in Exodus 3:4-5. Moses said, "I must turn aside and see why the bush is not burned up." Moses allowed his curiosity, his wonder, his observation, his openness to lead him toward the bush.

It was then that things happened, "When the Lord saw that he kturned aside to see, God called to him from out of the bush..." "When the Lord saw..." If Moses had not turned aside to see, the flaming bush would have still been afire. God would have still been present. God waited to see what Moses would do. Moses did turn, and that made all the difference.

Browning knew that we miss seeing the holy all around us. The Lord waits for us to turn and see. He waits. And then, when we turn and see, he speaks. It is then that we come to know that we are on holy ground. Holy ground everywhere because he is there.

Lord, I do so want to turn and see, not only for the blackberries, but in wonder of all that You are in this world. I would have the intention of my heart be filled with curiosity, wonder, observation, openness toward You. I want to be told by You to take off the shoes of my soul and be caught up in Your Presence. In Your name, Jesus, because You told Your disciples to announce to all that 'the kingdom of heaven is at hand.' Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment