Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Peace and Rest

By Marilyn Travis

The holidays are usually anything but peaceful. At this time of year we live a life full of excitement in a state of chaos. We spend Thanksgiving with family, making traditional recipes handed down from Mitch’s Mom. I would be practicing for the High Plains Singers Christmas concert and the church choir cantata. Mitch and I would be preparing for our annual open house, which fills our little house to the brim with friends and family. It is a highlight for us every year! Shopping, attending events and celebrating our anniversary are also part of the excitement.

This year is different, of course. Most of our traditions will have to wait until next year. However, different does not mean less. Though we are not holding large gatherings with family and friends, it does not mean we aren’t blessed with family and friends. Missing the choir activities and our open house only make me appreciate them more. The holidays are quieter this year, and that’s okay. We have been given a rare gift. Time! We have time this year to reflect on what is most important; time to pray and give thanks for the blessings and quiet peace Jesus has given us. He has given us this season to rest, not burdened with the usual stress of the holidays.

We are experiencing a more peaceful holiday season, which allows us to spend more time in reflection. I am grateful for that. However, the peace of Christ is so much more than an open calendar. “The Hebrew word for peace, shalom, has a wide semantic range including the notions of totality or completeness, success, fulfillment, wholeness, harmony, security and well-being.” Encyclopediia.com 

In Luke 1:76-79 Zechariah is speaking to his newborn son, John the Baptist, saying:

And you, my child, will be called a prophet of the Most High; for you will go on before the Lord to prepare the way for Him, to give his people the knowledge of salvation through the forgiveness of their sins, because of the tender mercy of our God, by which the rising sun will come to us from heaven to shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the path of peace.

Jesus reassures us of His peace.

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27

Come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:28-30

 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAW5G8u-nWs

“Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you.” 2 Thessalonians 3:16

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment