Tuesday, December 29, 2020

After Christmas Day

By Barb Batt

The presents have been opened. The hams have been cooked and consumed. Christmas Day has been celebrated and is over. As I contemplate Christmas this year, I find I have experienced many different emotions. The gatherings with family and friends have been smaller this year due to the virus. Because of this, the time with family and friends has been more precious. Sharing face time and being able to see friends' faces as we visit brought much comfort.

One of my closest friends lost her husband, Lynn, this year to cancer. This was a hard holiday for her. She and her husband hosted Christmas Eve parties for many years. This year there were only three of us. We laughed and cried while telling stories. I felt a sense of warmth during our time together as if Lynn was with us.

When I was preparing for Christmas and would feel sad because of the challenges this year, I would remember the true meaning of Christmas - the birth of Jesus. The virus, the political divisions, and the racial unrest cannot take away that wonderful gift from God. Jesus was born to save us. God is in control today as he has always been.

I have included the following selection from the December 25th devotion from the book, Jesus Calling, by Sarah Young:

Try to imagine what I gave up when I came to earth as a baby. I set aside My Glory, so that I could identify with mankind. I accepted the limitations of infancy under the most appalling conditions - a filthy stable. That was a dark night for Me, even though angels lit up the sky proclaiming "Glory!" to awe-struck shepherds.

When you sit quietly with Me, the process I went through is reversed in your experience. As you identify with Me, heaven's vistas open up before you - granting you glimpses of My Glory. I became poor so that you might become rich. Sing hallelujahs to My holy Name!

May the miracle birth of Jesus provide you with strength and comfort during the challenges we face today and in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment