Wednesday, August 5, 2020

When Reality Hits


By Marilyn Travis


A week ago, Mitch and I were in the mountains, enjoying the majesty and beauty of nature, reveling in God’s creation. We had no cell service and no television. We were able to briefly forget masks, Covid 19, and politics. It was glorious! It was easy to praise God and find restful peace.

Then we came home.

The trailer needed unloading. The grass needed cutting. Laundry had to be done. Bills needed to be paid. The cat box needed attention! All the email and messages that had not been delivered that week flooded our phones. We were back in the real world.

The problem with the reality of everyday life is the never-ending cycle. No matter how many times I clean out the cat box, I know as long as we have a cat that task will repeat itself. There is no end to laundry, grass mowing, and house cleaning. Our escape into the mountains was wonderful, but we spend most of our lives in everyday reality.

Fortunately, God does not only dwell in the mountains. He dwells in us every day. He understands how important everyday tasks are. We can serve Him even when cleaning out the cat box.

Mother Theresa says, “Whatever you do, do it all for His glory and the good of His people. Always do small things with great love.”

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving. (Colossians 3:23)

If I keep in mind who I am serving even when doing the most mundane tasks, it makes it worthwhile.

Brother Lawrence was a dishwasher in a monastery. His job couldn’t be more mundane, and he did it for many hours every week. He didn’t see his job as just washing dishes, though. He redeemed his time spent working by praising the Lord while he completed his task. He wrote a hymn about his experience.

Lord of all pots and pans and things,
Since I’ve no time to be a great saint
by doing lovely things,
or watching late with Thee,
or dreaming in the dawnlight,
or storming heaven’s gates,
make me a saint by getting meals,
and washing up the plates.
Warm all the kitchen with Thy Love,
and light it with Thy peace;
forgive me all my worrying,
and make my grumbling cease.
Thou who didst love to give men food,
In room, or by the sea,
Accept the service that I do,
I do it unto Thee.

I came across this rendition of “Simple Gifts” which perfectly blends the majesty and beauty of God’s creation with the message that our work and the simplicity of everyday tasks can also be an act of worship.


Thank you for loving me, for walking with me and for caring about the smallest details in my life. Fill me with grace, Lord, that I may have the strength to face what is before me today. I know not what today will bring forth, but make me ready, Lord, for whatever it may be.

Amen (prayer from ChristiansTT.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment