Thursday, August 20, 2020

Blessings and Gratitude

By Cathy Ramsey

 

 

I used to wake up with a cloud over my head and spend the day as Eeyore, the woeful little donkey in Winnie the Pooh. Thoughts roiling through my brain: Why did this happen? Why did that person say that to me? Why did I say that? How can I fix that? What can I do to be more loved and respected?

 

Once Jim and I joined EPC, we started to avail ourselves of all the spiritual formation opportunities available to us there and focused our learning on how to live more in the kingdom of God. I learned that I could speak with God and he would speak with me. He told me He loved me, always and unconditionally. Thank you, God.

 

I think the most benefit I have discovered in our learning journey, is to learn to count my blessings and be grateful for all of God’s love and grace, every hour of every day. It has brought me more joy and peace than I could have ever dreamed. I notice the little things so much more than I did before, no matter how small they are. They are all gifts from God.

 

The COVID 19 pandemic has taught me to never take anything for granted again. We are blessed to be able to survive this with our home and animal family safe and sound. The church worship services on-line, the devotionals, and our meetings with church family have helped us stay grounded in our faith and in God’s love.

 

I wake up in the morning, thanking God that Jim and I are in good health and the dogs and cats are all excited that morning has come. I go out to check that the llamas, alpacas, sheep, donkeys, chickens, guineas, and ducks are awake and moving around. We are so blessed to live in the country. Thank you, thank you, thank you, God, that my family is good today.

 

In the summer, I sit on the deck to study, read, and pray. The hummingbirds and butterflies are amazing little creatures and the squirrels are so lively, thank you God. The flowers are blooming and so pretty, and the trees are majestic, thank you God. The skies and the sunrise are beautiful, thank you God. The rain is so calming and rejuvenating, thank you God.

 

We like to go to the mountains in the summer. It makes me feel so peaceful with the breathtaking views, mountain creeks, moose, elk, eagles, and marmots. Thank you, God, that we can live and thrive in Colorado.

 

In the winter, I am so thankful for the beautiful snow and the gorgeous skies. The crisp, cold mornings are refreshing, and all is well. Thank you, God.

 

I count my blessings and thank God every night when I go to bed. Every day is an opportunity to visit with God and learn his lessons of loving everyone more, showing kindness and compassion, and thank him for his love, grace, and blessings.

 

Ephesians 1:3 Praise be to God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.

 

Colossians 3:15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also ye are called in one body: and be ye thankful.

 

From Henri Nouwen’s Life of the Beloved: “The problem of modern living is that we are all too busy to notice that we are being blessed.”

 

Henri Nouwen: “Gratitude is the most fruitful way of deepening your consciousness that you are not an ‘accident’ but a divine choice…What fascinates me so much is that every time we decide to be grateful it becomes easier to see new things to be grateful for. Gratitude begets gratitude, just as love begets love.”

 

From Ann Voskamp, One Thousand Gifts: “At the last, this is what will determine a fulfilling, meaningful life, a life that, behind all the facades, every one of us longs to live: gratitude for the blessings that expresses itself by becoming the blessing.”

 

A Prayer of Gratitude (from Crosswalk.com):

 

Dear God,

 

Thank you for your amazing power and work in our lives, thank you for your goodness and for your blessings over us. Thank you that you are able to bring hope through even the toughest of times, strengthening us for your purposes. Thank you for your great love and care. Thank you for your mercy and grace. Thank you that you are always with us and will never leave us. Thank you for your incredible sacrifice so that we might have freedom and life. Forgive us for when we don’t thank you enough for who you are, for all that you do, for all that you’ve given. Help us to set our eyes and our hearts on you afresh. Renew our spirits, fill us with your peace and joy. We love you and we need you, this day and every day. We give you praise and thanks, for You alone are worthy. In Jesus Name we pray.

 

When the High Plains Singers performed this song last Christmas, it became one of my favorites.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGKhgdF9vWA

 

No comments:

Post a Comment