Monday, April 4, 2022

Are You Prepared?

By Barb Batt

In my Father's house there are many dwelling places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also. John 14: 2-3 NRSV

There have been many fires in Colorado recently. I have been thinking of a checklist if we should have to evacuate. What documents should I have copies of that I can grab in a hurry? How will we transport our horse and donkey, and where will we take them? Does our home and property have enough insurance to cover the replacement of the buildings if a fire should burn them down?

During my Lenten spiritual journey, I have been thinking of a checklist, so I am prepared when Jesus returns. This checklist is more critical than my fire evacuation checklist. My spiritual checklist will help me become the person Jesus wants me to be. The following is a draft of my spiritual checklist. The reason it is a draft is because I want to constantly add to this list as I experience God's presence. Please feel free to use this checklist draft as you prepare for Jesus returning.

·  Make time daily to read and study the scriptures. Read different devotionals as they provide different perspectives on our walk with Jesus.

·  Make sure my actions encourage others to trust and respect me.

·  Practice being the one who takes the initiative to encourage, compliment, and comfort others.

·  Whatever task I am doing, I need to do it with enthusiasm as something done for the Lord and not for others.

·  I need to stop worrying about tomorrow. I need to quit going into problem-solving mode. When I feel anxious, I need to pray to Jesus and entrust my concerns to him.

·  I need to thank God every day for his blessings. Thankfulness awakens my heart to God's abiding presence, and joy is soon to follow.

·  Regularly worship with other believers. This community of believers lifts me up when I am down.

·  Be sure to practice kindness and compassion to all people. Love the "unlovable".

·  Find ways to regularly help other people. Let my little light shine during these dark days.

·  Practice relaxing and letting go. God is in control. Enjoy all that God has given me.

My loving Savior. I am truly a work in progress. This checklist is only the beginning of my preparation. I can do nothing without your Holy Spirit helping me on this walk. Your unfailing love is my comfort and peace. I am so grateful that I am never alone; you are always holding my hand, and whispering "I Got You". Love you with all my heart. Amen

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment