Friday, March 19, 2021

More Like Jesus

By Barb Batt

As I enter this next week of Lent, I am trying to listen for God's voice in these current times. I recently heard a Christian song that emphasized my search for God's presence. The name of the song is "Less Like Me" by Zach Williams. I have shared some of the lyrics below.

Oh, I have days I lose the fight

Try my best but just don't get it right

Where I talk a talk that I don't walk

And miss the moments right before my eyes

 

Somebody with a hurt that I could have helped

Somebody with a hand that I could have held

When I just can't see past myself

Lord, help me be

 

A little more like mercy, a little more like grace

A little more like kindness, goodness, love, and faith

A little more like patience, a little more like peace

A little more like Jesus, a little less like me

 

Yeah, there's no denying I have changed

I've been saved from who I used to be

But even at my best, I must confess

I still need help to see the way You see

Sometimes I am so ashamed that I cannot be more giving. After all that Jesus did to save me, I still do not give freely and immediately to others. I get dragged down by the world and its conflicts. I need the Holy Spirit to work in me and through me. I really want to be a little more like Jesus, and a lot less like me.

Those who bring sunshine to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.

                                    – God's Little Instruction Book

She opens her hand to the poor, and reaches out her hands to the needy. Proverbs 31:20 (NRSV)

To whom should I give today? Whom can I help? Let me start the day with this question, Lord. If I am asking to be of service, then I cannot ignore the opportunities when they arise. I have looked into needy faces and kept walking. I think too much about such things. My mind asks, "How can I fix someone's life?"

You ask me to be a woman of charity and kindness. My actions to assist another child of God become a part of Your will for that person. You are not calling me to fix her, to make her whole. Only You can do that. My job is to lend a hand along the way.

                                    – One-Minute Prayers for Women

No comments:

Post a Comment