Thursday, March 25, 2021

Fear and Anxiety

By Marilyn Travis

Does the title of this devotional make you want to run and hide? Sometimes I wish I could revert back to toddler-hood and just close my eyes so nobody can see me. Alas, life is not so simple. Last week news of the mass shooting in Atlanta was sad and unsettling. Then when the mass shooting happened in Boulder this week those emotions increased in intensity and came much closer to the surface. I must say I experienced a bit of hesitation walking into Safeway yesterday.

Monday afternoon Mitch and I were following the story as it unfolded, witnessing the shock, fear and sorrow of survivors who were being interviewed. Our hearts were breaking for them, mixed with the fear of knowing there is nowhere truly safe. Yet, in the center of the turmoil, a young couple who escaped out a side door were interviewed. They spoke of their faith in Jesus. They prayed with people there at the side of King Soopers. They assured everyone that Jesus was right there with them and His love, His presence would conquer their fear and guard their hearts. That interview brought me back to reality. Jesus. He is sufficient.

I’m sure even the terrible events of the past week are nothing in comparison to what Jesus knew He must endure on the cross as a sacrifice for our sin. We know, as fully human, He experienced every emotion we experience. He must have been tempted to give in to fear and dread in the days before His crucifixion. He did not give in. He trusted the Father. He trusted Himself to God’s will. We must follow His example.

I have been deprived of peace; I have forgotten what prosperity is. So I say, “My splendor is gone and all that I had hoped from the Lord.” I remember my affliction and wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Lamentations 3:22-23

This week I have often been deprived of peace. I tend to dwell on negative or frightening thoughts and let my imagination run. However, Jeremiah did not stop speaking at this point in Lamentations. He continues…

Yet this I call to mind and therefore have hope: Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:21-22

No problem or situation I fear is too great for God to handle. When I’m tempted to let fear or anxiety take hold I often pray Philippians 4:7. I have changed the words to make it personal.

(I will) not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, (I) present (my) requests to (you), God. And (Your peace), which transcends understanding, will guard (my) heart and (my) mind in Christ Jesus.

Do you know what happens? I take a deep breath, taking in the peace that can only come from the Lord. John 14:27 comes to mind.

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Peace be with each of you this day. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3zbp6BU1S0 

No comments:

Post a Comment