Thursday, March 11, 2021

Honesty

By Barb Batt

I am trying to focus my prayers and spiritual practices during Lent to see what I might gain during this season. I am examining myself to let go of any negativity and fix my thoughts on God. I want to make choices to bring me an inner calm this Lenten season.

Christian songs often speak to me, and provide insight when I am struggling. One of the songs that I have been listening to lately is "Truth Be Told" by Matthew West.  Some of the lyrics are listed below.

Lie number one: You're supposed to have it all together
And when they ask how you're doin', just smile and tell them, "Never better"
Lie number two: Everybody's life is perfect except yours
So keep your messes and your wounds and your secrets safe with you behind closed doors

But truth be told
The truth is rarely told, no...

I say, "I'm fine, yeah, I'm fine, oh, I'm fine, hey, I'm fine"
But I'm not, I'm broken
And when it's out of control I say it's under control
But it's not and You know it
I don't know why it's so hard to admit it
When bein' honest is the only way to fix it
There's no failure, no fall
There's no sin You don't already know
So let the truth be told

Sometimes I feel broken and not fine. It is hard not to feel that everyone else has it all together. Some people seem to have such a good grasp on their lives, and what they believe. I am trying to honestly look at my life, and pray to God about struggles I am going through. God already knows my sin and he still loves me.

I also like the following lyrics from this same song regarding church. I believe we should be aware of how we welcome others into our church and church community.

There's a sign on the door, says, "Come as you are" but I doubt it
'Cause if we lived like that was true, every Sunday mornin' pew would be crowded
But didn't You say church should look more like a hospital?
A safe place for the sick, the sinner and the scarred, and the prodigals, like me

A quote that recently spoke to me is from Gloria Gaither, 1942 American writer, singer, and songwriter.

We may run, walk, stumble, drive, or fly, but let us never lose sight of the reason for the journey, or miss a chance to see a rainbow on the way.

Let us pray.

Heavenly Father,

Help us on our journey when we stumble and feel broken. Keep us from comparing ourselves to others, as we do not know what inner struggles they might be facing. Remind us of the sacrifice Jesus made for us, and the gifts his suffering brings us. During this Lenten season, help us to practice being honest with you regarding our failures and sin.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment